Line array using 1.5" to 2" max driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Crossed to a decent mid-sub at around 250-300.
This would be for small clubs single act piano and left hand bass guitar sound. With you guy's help I designed a phenomenal little pa using 9 3" Faital drivers and an Auto sub in a 1 cube sealed box.
It is capable of much more than I need in many rooms. Now I am thinking ultimate portabilty and "not so high db" situations. Driver suggestions
I saw a 1.5 that has a res of 235 and 82db. Thinking 16 of those in a molded pvc pipe crossed to a 8" sub and a crapload of power would do it. Interested? I know it will work mocked it up mocked it up with 10 altec bluetooth speakers just don't know drives to consider. Want to stay tiny.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's a 4" driver I absolutely want to push the envelope. I have already done and am using 9 x 3" Faital drivers. Now I am very serious about going super small. I will not consider anything beyond a 2" and prefer 1.5" Come in guys I know we can do this. (-:

sorry, i though you want to build 1.5 way...you should use inch sign
never mind

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Peter _ Parts Express has a lot of TV speakers on sale cheap! Some of them might work in your 200-300Hz and up array. Here are some narrow but long drivers. For example:
SPK-1516AG 1-3/8" x 6" Paper Cone Full-Range Speaker 8 Ohm
60879301 3/4" x 7-3/8" Paper Cone Dual Driver LG TV Speaker Assembly
YDT0420-4BP 1-1/2" x 7" Paper Cone Full-Range Speaker 16 Ohm
BN83-01521A 1-3/8" x 2-3/8" Paper Cone Full-Range Speaker 16 Ohm

Some of those are looking like a potentially fun way into a disastrous form of "line array synergy computer speakers" with some creative use of foam board. :)

If the array is tall enough, you don't even need top/bottom conics (just have them flat) and horn load laterally.

For simpler packaging, you also can make the horn part small and have some sort of bolt-on "wings" that expand the horn on-site. If that joint is far enough away relative to its size, then any sort of surface defect at the joint will be essentially invisible to the wave propagation.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Some of those are looking like a potentially fun way into a disastrous form of "line array synergy computer speakers" with some creative use of foam board. :)
I was thinking the same thing. :D. Let's see... 48 drivers a side for 48 cents each. ::scratch2:

Too bad the LG drivers are sold out, 'cause I had just seen some in a TV. They have dimples, like on a golf ball. Wonder how well that works?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.