Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peerless 3" computer speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2018, 06:30 PM   #11
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

This driver has a high Q so you will get a bump in the bass even in an infinite baffle. The way to deal with that is usually an OB, where the leakage around the sides counters the rise (but the large size needed is impractical) or an aperiodic enclosure where an attempt is made to damp the peak.

Certainly a vented box is not a good idea.

Start with the largest sealed box you can live with. You might like the bump, but if you find the underdamped response not to your liking you can start drilling some holes in the back and damp those holes. This is very much a cut and try process so go slowly. You can use GMs clik test or measure for maximally flat impedance curve. Or just listen.

EQ is the other option, but i dont think as effectove as an acoustic fix.

This is a picture of one of the most well developed aperiodic speakers i know of. It gives some indication of the approach.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 14th February 2018, 09:53 PM   #12
Bjohannesen is offline Bjohannesen  Denmark
diyAudio Member

This driver will do very well in TABAQ. The folded version could be used as desktop speaker. Put it upside down with the opening downwards using some small feets on the enclosure.

Bjørn
Old 15th February 2018, 12:28 PM   #13
champ222 is offline champ222  England
diyAudio Member

So i did some listening last night. i found some cardboard boxes (i know) that were similar in size to what i was looking at, a bit deeper though and due to the fact that its cardboard, the volume is bigger, about 3.8 litres ish.

They sounded pretty nice. not a lot of low end, as expected, but plenty of detail, and nice to listen to at low levels. worth persisting with.

The TABAQ looks like a floor standing design? unless there is another version? I'll do some research...

thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 12:31 PM   #14
mikejennens is offline mikejennens  United States
This speaker DIY thing, it's pretty addicting!
diyAudio Member

Here is the folded version of the TABAQ

http://www.coolcat.dk/bjoern/TABAQ%2...et%20build.pdf
Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, Paul Carmody's Sunflowers, Jeff Bagby's Continuums; Planet 10 HiFi's MarkAudio A 7.3 Frugalhorns and MarkAudio CHP-70s, Nola Brio Clones with a Voxel Sub and a bunch of others...
Old 15th February 2018, 02:37 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks

Its still a bit bigger than i'm looking for though, can i make it smaller?
Old 15th February 2018, 02:48 PM   #16
mikejennens is offline mikejennens  United States
This speaker DIY thing, it's pretty addicting!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ222 View Post
Thanks

Its still a bit bigger than i'm looking for though, can i make it smaller?
I don't believe it can be changed and still be optimum.
Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, Paul Carmody's Sunflowers, Jeff Bagby's Continuums; Planet 10 HiFi's MarkAudio A 7.3 Frugalhorns and MarkAudio CHP-70s, Nola Brio Clones with a Voxel Sub and a bunch of others...
Old 15th February 2018, 03:10 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

i thought that may be the case. I'm going to try some various port lengths over the next few days.
Old 15th February 2018, 03:21 PM   #18
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I did a simulation of the speaker in a 0.1Cft (2.8L) box with baffle step and diffraction. If you are close to a wall then it will fill the bass back in a bit. The baffles step more than compensates for the peak in the response in a 2.8L box. but it means the mid will be elevated reference the bass by approx. 5dB.

I will see if I can work out a simple correction filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peerless 3.5.JPG (203.6 KB, 140 views)
Old 15th February 2018, 03:48 PM   #19
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This is a fully compensated design if place close to a wall the bass might be a bit much.

I have taken the box and baffle simulation merged them with the responses from the data sheet to provide simulated in box measurements and then applied a correction network made up of a bass shelf with a resistive component to level if out followed by a capacitive resistive element to lift the response back up after the baffle diffraction hump.

Below are the uncorrected merged data, the filtered corrected response and the filter components.
Attached Images
File Type: png no correction merged.PNG (227.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: png corrected.PNG (220.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: png xover.PNG (1.9 KB, 140 views)
Old 16th February 2018, 10:31 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Wow, thanks for all your efforts guys, I'll see if I can find those components and try it out. This is for a sealed 2.8 litre enclosure Yeah?

Thanks again.

Peerless 3" computer speakersHide this!Advertise here!