Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New to site looking for flat pack options
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2018, 09:50 PM   #11
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
good performance at a decent DIY price
Hard to beat the Pluvia 7. The Alpairs are (generally) better but cost quite a bit more.

The p7 probably also holds the best bass (extension) capability of any of the current Mark Audios.

dave
Old 10th February 2018, 10:49 PM   #12
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

And hey! ChrisB can do speakers full time...what else is there to do in the unlimited time remaining?
Old 10th February 2018, 10:56 PM   #13
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Have to find him a shop before he can do that… access to the very completely equiped shop has been very useful.

I do expect he wil go a bit stir crazy not being able to woodwork.

dave
Old 11th February 2018, 12:02 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I got to spend a year in a fully equipped cabinet+furniture shop, with the Wadkin 14" panel saw and a big vacuum bag...and the associated bits like the wide belt sander etc...now I'm back to my portable carpentry kit stuffed into an E150 van. Waiting for summer, which looks like will come early this year.
Old 11th February 2018, 03:34 PM   #15
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Look at mini Karlsonator plans - some are suitable for CNC laser cut foam core or cardboard/ sureply for use with 3.5in full range like TC9FD, 3FE25, etc. people love sound of 0.40x Karlsonator.
Old 12th February 2018, 05:37 PM   #16
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phivates View Post
And hey! ChrisB can do speakers full time...what else is there to do in the unlimited time remaining?
What makes you think the first two or three years aren’t already fully planned out - my wife has been retired for 3yrs now, and after one year of that being consumed by dealing with a minor cancer, has compiled a very long bucket list - on which finding me a fully equipped workshop is conspicuously absent. And after 15yrs of doing this in my “spare” time, I can use the break. Life as a symbiot ain’t anywhere near as fun as it might first sound.

As goes the old blues song “The Thrill is Gone” - BTW, Aretha’s version is killer, before that colloquialism was even common parlance

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Have to find him a shop before he can do that… access to the very completely equiped shop has been very useful.

I do expect he wil go a bit stir crazy not being able to woodwork.

dave
See above -

I might even find some time to do some listening.
Old 13th February 2018, 01:30 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I have a clue about the cancer thing, and the "unlimited time remaining." So please don't waste retirement not doing your bucket list, which is not for anyone but you to create
Old 13th February 2018, 01:37 AM   #18
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would have gone for a self build sealed cabinet with a full range driver.
It will be much cheaper than a flat pack.
I built a sealed bin with a Fane 250-12TC for a around $250.
Old 13th February 2018, 01:52 AM   #19
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Not a flat pack, but close enough.

The TABAQs are probably the easiest design around (well, except open baffle), and I was able to find pine boards at the local hardware shop that matched the sizing, + or - 1cm.

I just had to buy one extra board to cut the top and bottom cover and the small vent.

One of the most satisfying builds I've done. Pretty astonishing how low a small 3 or 4" driver can go with this design.
Old 14th February 2018, 07:30 PM   #20
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

If I where to do everything all over again, start from scratch with nothing and limited tool shop, had somewhat limited space etc..

I would probably go for the Seas FU10RB, either OB or small sealed chamber. Mate it with 2 really good 6.5" per channel ,or quite possibly the A26RE4 in a sealed box, a bit like a slightly unorthodox oversized monitor perhaps. Probably with 700hz 1st order passive xo, maybe just a cap for the FU10RB and the A26RE4 run open.

Together with a hmmmmm... A cheap but good quality Cmoy kit with proper parts for pre amp stage, with a socket to play about with different op-amps, and quite possibly some LM2876 for power amplification. If you want to cheap out there is the TPA3250 ready in-a-box with pre stage: the FX502SPRO on Ebay is really a whole lot of value for the money.

Quite a few have made speakers out of IKEA shelf/cabinet kits, bowls etc. with extra bracing you can make almost anything work.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 14th February 2018 at 07:36 PM.

New to site looking for flat pack optionsHide this!Advertise here!