Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CSS FR125S 'fullranger' anything comparable?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2018, 08:58 PM   #41
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Was described in great detail by several of Mark Fenlon's posts a few years back
Not all of these threads were lost, just archived. Mark deleted a lot of the threads before leaving, but i found 2 relevant threads and have moved them to the P10 forum:

Enabling, MAOP on Markaudio drivers
Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP Prototype TW-1

dave
Old 13th February 2018, 09:01 PM   #42
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
Well, there is no such thing as a magnetic arc. Yes, it's called MAOP. But it's MICRO Arc Oxidation Process or Plasma Electrolytic Oxidization. What happens there is the surface of a metal (mostly aluminium) is heated up, 'burnt' by a microscopic small arc of plasma, the metal upper layer oxidizes and becomes ceramic in the process.

yeah, thanx - my goof there

edit: Dave - invalid link on second URL?

Last edited by chrisb; 13th February 2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 13th February 2018, 09:11 PM   #43
audioaficionado is offline audioaficionado  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanx guys. What a shame that most of those MAOP got hoovered up and are in non functioning collections. Knowing my tendency to procrastinate, I need to build the cabinets first and then buy the drivers. Most likely a BR.

I've got several pairs of drivers waiting to be built into an active 3-way not including the subs. Open heart surgery last summer kinda put a slight crimp in my plans last year, but now that spring is coming, my shade tree wood shop will be usable again.

~Steve
Old 15th February 2018, 02:57 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Bass-reflex vs Aperiodic relating to MA drivers? How do high aspect slot vents work?

I've been looking at those Fonken style enclosures and they look intriguing, but complex to build with my limited wood working space and tools.

I could put the largest diameter port in and stuff it with loosely compressed polyfill and experiment with slowly opening up the center.

~Steve
Old 15th February 2018, 03:20 AM   #45
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Aperiodic is typically suited to higher Qts drivers that you have trouble putting into a box. To get bass out of the Mark Audio, they need to be put in a vented enclosure (horn, TLs included). I am not a big fan of typical BR enclosures, whet the miniOnken do with their high aspect ratio slot vents is add an R to the vent, pushing them towards aperiodic (but they aren’t aperiodic), and increase their tolerance to the dynamic changes in T/S parameters (that lead to a typical tightly tuned reflex enclosure moving in and out of tune with the dynamics of the music or the setting of the volume control). One tends to get a small box and articulate, nuanced bass. But one is constrained with the alignment and bass only goes as low as it goes.

If one wants more bass there are some outstanding horns and TLs (mostly ML-TLs).

If one is using the MA driver as a midTweeter there is a lot to like about aperiodic midTLs where the goal is to suck up as much of the back wave as possible and to flatten the impedance curve.

dave
Old 15th February 2018, 08:34 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Some more on the subject:
Whats a aperiodically-coupled bass-reflex box?

~Steve
Old 15th February 2018, 06:59 PM   #47
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Steve - there are several designs in the "-Ken" family that use very simplified (high aspect ratio) slot ports on the bottom - or sides for horizontally oriented center channel applications.

For example, several variants on the CGR dMar-Ken for A7.3 ; http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10fr...n73-190216.pdf

Over the past dozen years or so, this topology has proven to work well enough for most of the Mark Audio and Fostex FE and FF series drivers we've tried. Of course volumes and vent tuning details vary per driver and application. It's hard for me to keep track these days, but no doubt drawings exist for the Pluvias as well.
Old 15th February 2018, 08:23 PM   #48
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The Pluvia 7, so far has fit into the EL70 boxes with no, or little, changes. There is a small set of P7 specific drawings, and we provide the EL70 set along with it. If you find an EL70 box not yet turned into a P7 box, just ask and we’ll check.

There is at least one freely available CGR (Classic Golden Ratio) box for most of the drivers we do miniOnken designs for, usually in 15mm material. Designs for other material thicknesses, cut plans, damping plans, other sizes (ie A10p) ar ein the paid plansets.

dave
Old 16th February 2018, 05:04 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

One thing I've noticed about MA xmax specs is that it's past the linear limit even if it does so gracefully. it's really the xmech limiters if I'm understanding the cautionary break in notes correctly. I'd say MA's xmax limits are closer to Tang Band's. Don't know how graceful Fostex or TB are concerning exceeding their xmax limits on dynamic music.

~Steve
Old 16th February 2018, 07:19 PM   #50
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Fostex tend to be quite graceful. In th eearly days some people were turning the cones of CHRs inside out by pushing them too hard. They all now come with the “arrestor” which audibly tells you when to turn the wick down. I still don’t know what that sounds like. The slow break-in with varied content is to ensure that the spider & the surround do not gain a “memory" which would affect the reproduction of fine details.

dave

CSS FR125S 'fullranger' anything comparable?Hide this!Advertise here!