Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CSS FR125S 'fullranger' anything comparable?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2018, 04:53 PM   #31
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Not even on the list, but throwing caution and your wallet to the wind - Alpair MAOP7 or 10 - and thereby hangs another tale.
Old 13th February 2018, 06:57 PM   #32
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, the MOAP has an edge. Availability is very limited. Pay your money (quite a bit) and wait till they make some. Most go to Japan, and many of those get put on a collectors shelf unused.

dave
Old 13th February 2018, 07:14 PM   #33
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Having heard all generations of the A7, including the MAOPS, not using them is a crying shame .
Old 13th February 2018, 07:48 PM   #34
audioaficionado is offline audioaficionado  United States
diyAudio Member

MAOPS? Markaudio OPS? Longhand please.

~Steve
Old 13th February 2018, 08:37 PM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I can’t recall what the entire acronym is but the MO part is (likely) Metal Oxide.

These drivers are based on a version of A7 or A10 and the metal cone is bombarded by electrons to convert the top few molecules into metal oxide (ie ceramic). The result is a layered cone with less colouration and more detail. An EnABLed A7.3eN comes really close but is not quite as smooth. I now have Chris’ A7 MOAP and Mark is going to send me a reject cone (more cones are rejected than used) to experiment on and i will EnABL the MOAP i have which in should make them even better.

The only picture i could find is attached (A7 MOAP in Frugel-Horn Mk3)

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MOAP-FH3-6BG4PP.jpg (82.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 13th February 2018, 09:05 PM   #36
audioaficionado is offline audioaficionado  United States
diyAudio Member

Metal more detailed than paper?

~Steve
Old 13th February 2018, 09:27 PM   #37
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Depends on the driver. Metals typically have more top than the papers — i call the paper tops “vintage”. Detail is not missing in the papers, just a different presentation.

A7p is the odd driver out, it does not have the same relation to the metals as the A12/A10/A6.

In the A10/A6 it is a 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. With the A12s the paper is ahead (note: a later more refinedgeneration), The A12pw, IMO, even with top lacking is the better A12. A7p has some resonance issues (not insurmountable) but even when (mostly) cured does not reach up to the same level as the metal A7.3.

dave
Old 13th February 2018, 09:46 PM   #38
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

MAOP = Magnetic Arc Oxidization Process. Was described in great detail by several of Mark Fenlon's posts a few years back . Regrettably most of his very informative posts were lost to posterity.

To quote a post from ScottMoose of a couple of years ago :
Quote:
Sometimes called plasma electrolytic oxidation. Essentially it converts the surface layer[s] of the substrate into the oxide of the base material. Very interesting process actually. You end up with an extremely hard modified crystalline surface, which has many applications in industry etc. In the case of the driver cones, since we are dealing with resonant systems it alters the behaviour somewhat in terms of the energy transmission & conversion.
As I commented regarding the highlighted above at the time , "somewhat" is quite an understatement. Of course this is likely moot, as production of these models was very limited, and you can't just order them from Madisound, or any other reseller, AFAIK.
Old 13th February 2018, 09:49 PM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Oops, i got the acronym letters flipped…

Thanx Chris.

dave
Old 13th February 2018, 09:55 PM   #40
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
MAOP = Magnetic Arc Oxidization Process.
Well, there is no such thing as a magnetic arc. Yes, it's called MAOP. But it's MICRO Arc Oxidation Process or Plasma Electrolytic Oxidization. What happens there is the surface of a metal (mostly aluminium) is heated up, 'burnt' by a microscopic small arc of plasma, the metal upper layer oxidizes and becomes ceramic in the process.

CSS FR125S 'fullranger' anything comparable?Hide this!Advertise here!