Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CSS FR125S 'fullranger' anything comparable?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2018, 12:55 AM   #11
audioaficionado is offline audioaficionado  United States
diyAudio Member

Near is within a few feet or so. Either on desk or stands. Not expecting reference levels. Just intimate elegance.

~Steve
Old 7th February 2018, 02:31 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Markaudio has some really nice FR drivers at very reasonable prices. TangBand has some nice drivers, but 3x$ of MA. Fostex has lower XMAX higher prices. Probably good for low level nearfield.

~Steve
Old 7th February 2018, 01:07 PM   #13
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Perhaps planet10 or others can chime in as they certainly have more experience than I with Fostex drivers, but the ones I've heard behave gracefully enough when pushed beyond Xmax. Sure, they won't do club-level bass-heavy techno in any kind of sustained manner, but they handle dynamically rich music quite well IMO. I listen daily to a pair of FF125K (see my avatar) with an almost non-existant Xmax of 0.15mm and they have no issue playing at satisfyingly loud levels near-field.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:11 PM   #14
rb132333 is offline rb132333  United States
diyAudio Member

I am talking about these two drivers for example:
Tang Band W5-2143 5" Paper Cone Full Range Driver 8 Ohm - $51.90
Tang Band W6-2144 6-1/2" Paper Cone Full Range Driver 8 Ohm - $81.40

Are the MK drivers cheaper? I always thought they were more expensive.
Old 7th February 2018, 02:38 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I looked at lots of FR drivers on Parts Express and Madisound. Some use whizzer cones and phase plugs or cone profiles to give better HF dispersion. It's hard to choose. I want a compact sized enclosure so I need a driver that works in smaller Vb or Vc.

~Steve

Last edited by audioaficionado; 7th February 2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 7th February 2018, 03:49 PM   #16
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
compact sized enclosure
How small?

dave
Old 7th February 2018, 04:15 PM   #17
rb132333 is offline rb132333  United States
diyAudio Member

I had 4 of the MK CHBW-70s which had a plastic frame and did not seem sturdy to me. I ended up using them in my friend's synergy for his mancave.

I had 4 of the VWR126X drivers in an OB and I found them pretty impressive for the mid-range. Build quality was quite good.

I have had a fair amount of drivers (yes, I do have a problem) and I am very impressed with the TangBand build quality and capabilities for the money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OB pic #1.jpg (667.8 KB, 243 views)
Old 7th February 2018, 04:31 PM   #18
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
CHBW-70s which had a plastic frame and did not seem sturdy to me.
I like the plastic baskets… less ringing compared to aluminum or steel. One does need to be careful with the screws (but that is the case with all drivers — too tight is not good). The new Pluvia baskets improve the tech.

The CHBW is really a midbass… the top end is purposely shelved down about 15 dB at 5kHz.

dave
Old 7th February 2018, 05:04 PM   #19
majerjack is offline majerjack  United States
diyAudio Member

My two cents:

I never heard and know nothing about the CSS FR125S, so please read my comments in light of that fact. I own and have directly compared these drivers to each other: Tang Band W8-1808, W5-1611, W5-2143, Markaudio Alpair 10P, Alpair 10 Gen. 2. I have tested them both on a 48" X 48" baffle and in a variety of cabinets, all within one meter listening distance. Since the W8-1808 is an 8" driver and requires a fairly large cabinet, I think we can discount that one for your stated usage.

All of these drivers produce what I would call acceptable sound quality, but my favorite, the one I think has the best tonal balance both on and off axis, is the Tang Band W5-2143. It models well in a small bass reflex cabinet, but the limited Xmax restricts the bass output. If you can live with that limitation you will be rewarded with a driver that produces a smooth and detailed sound that is equally superb at both lower and higher volume levels.
Old 7th February 2018, 05:12 PM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Steve - for that close a listening distance, I'd suggest either the Alpair6P, or Fostex FF85WK. The latter is a bit more forward and dynamic in the mids, but in a nearfield application punches way above its weight class. I run a pair very compact pair of boxes with little Topping TP30 amp .

I've heard the FR125, and as Dave noted earlier, it was a helluva driver 10yrs ago, but there's more from which to choose these days. Of course there'll be lots of other suggestions - careful what you ask for, analysis paralysis is almost guaranteed at least once in a while .

Last edited by chrisb; 7th February 2018 at 05:18 PM.

CSS FR125S 'fullranger' anything comparable?Hide this!Advertise here!