Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Corrugated Cardboard Bookshelf Speaker Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2018, 02:05 PM   #1
BasicHIFI1 is offline BasicHIFI1  Sri Lanka
diyAudio Member

Default Corrugated Cardboard Bookshelf Speaker Project

After some delays in my PC speaker conversion I am starting a project to build bookshelf speakers with a cardboard enclosure.

Much encouragement at this thread ( mine ).

Corrugated Cardboard tower desgin

Also, less energy is used to make cardboard, and it is bio-degradable, although I am not sure if making something as enduring a speaker should be.

Similar attempts:

YouTube

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7c/db/79/7...90808e57e3.jpg

How to Make a Speaker Box From a Cardboard Box | Techwalla.com

YouTube

https://www.techwillsaveus.com/resou...cardboard-box/

This last one looks very promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt1W4CyPKs8

Any suggested designs? Will post pictures of the generic driver units.

Last edited by BasicHIFI1; 31st January 2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Drivers
Old 31st January 2018, 02:13 PM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Check links in post 1. There are some cardboard speakers in there. Mostly foam core.

Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?
Old 31st January 2018, 02:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default The speaker drivers

4 Ohms, 40 Watts, SKS Rocky if I can figure it out is the brand.

Cost was about $2 equivalent. Each.

Tested out of the box well, sound comes out of it, clear but a bit biased to mid range, nothing a good enclosure cannot fix

5InchSPKR1.jpg5inchspkr2.jpg

Last edited by BasicHIFI1; 31st January 2018 at 02:50 PM. Reason: attachments not shown
Old 31st January 2018, 02:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Check links in post 1. There are some cardboard speakers in there. Mostly foam core.

Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?
Thanks.
Old 31st January 2018, 03:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Look at Recommended Standard Bass Reflex Type Enclosure in this Fostex design:

http://loudspeakerfreaks.com/datashe...e126e_encl.pdf
Old 1st February 2018, 03:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Computer Assisted Design completed

Preliminary design completed: 30 cm by 20 cm approx, and about 35 cm high. Finishing is important: I don't want it to look like a cardboard box, should look more like these:

Bifrost

(Results of a search)

Screen shots from Wings3d and G3D Viewer (with reflection).
Attached Images
File Type: png cardspkrwings.png (7.3 KB, 369 views)
File Type: png CardSpeaker3.png (8.9 KB, 367 views)
Old 1st February 2018, 10:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Design Changes

Some design changes were made after cutting out some of the cardboard. By the way the stuff is quite strong, la belled as DOUBLEWALL by Viking Industries, NJ.

Existing bookshelf speakers vary in width from 13 cm to 20 cm, and are 24 cm to 30 cm high for the most part. Depth is between 24 and 40 cm, as long as it is not equal to the other sides, should be OK.

Depth is an important factor I previously overlooked: hold any speaker driver ( without the enclosure) against a wall, pointing outwards of course, and it does not sound as good as when it is some distance away from the wall.

Design changes shown: now the dimensions are 14W X 23-26H X 24D. Newer design is on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: png Speaker34.png (15.3 KB, 358 views)
Old 1st February 2018, 12:05 PM   #8
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

En-closure: to close the back ( radiation ) of a speaker

With six baffles ( the sides of a box...a parallelogram ) made with cardboard you are creating six + 1 ( the speaker itself ) radiating membranes.

The basic of en-closuring is that the material is not fono-transparent at all; it should be sound proof...and of course not vibrating when solicited.
Old 2nd February 2018, 04:17 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes indeed. I was thinking of this all through the design process. I had previously built corrugated card and also hardboard enclosure, but with improper sealing I cannot draw conclusions from them.

I imagined placing a sheet of cardboard that was folded many times, in a corrugated fashion, on each side of the box to dampen the vibrations. Alternatively a different material such as hardboard could be used. Its all in the building and listening.

The Wikipedia article on loudspeaker enclosures is worth quoting in part, and in its entirety makes for interesting reading.

Loudspeaker enclosure - Wikipedia

Quote:
A loudspeaker enclosure or loudspeaker cabinet is an enclosure (often box-shaped) in which speaker drivers (e.g., loudspeakers and tweeters) and associated electronic hardware, such as crossover circuits and, in some cases, power amplifiers, are mounted
Quote:
The primary role of the enclosure is to prevent sound waves generated by the rearward-facing surface of the diaphragm of an open speaker driver interacting with sound waves generated at the front of the speaker driver.
It sounds better in a box, that I know, and at a certain distance from a rear wall, without a box.

Quote:
The enclosure also plays a role in managing vibration induced by the driver frame and moving airmass within the enclosure, as well as heat generated by driver voice coils and amplifiers (especially where woofers and subwoofers are concerned).
So the enclosure serves the following purposes:

1) Mounting of the drivers
2) Preventing sound cancellation
3) Lowering the natural frequency and therefore changing the frequency response of the driver ( more bass)

(2) will be a problem in the cardboard box.

Some more info on speaker enclosures. Honeycombing is an option.

http://www.audioxpress.com/assets/up...-AX-Sept12.pdf

Last edited by BasicHIFI1; 2nd February 2018 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:27 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Initial testing proved disappointing as it was not possible to seal the box adequately using tape. I am now gluing and sealing the sides of the box. On the plus side, the speaker was installed in the front rectangle of the box and placed over a proper MDF sealed enclosure, where a big improvement was heard, especially in bass. This speaker puts out some howling distortion, not the best of speakers, and may need a low bypass filter to clear up the noise, as well as some interior padding.

If a simple corrugated cardboard enclosure works well, then it opens a lot of possibilities and cost savings. If not... well back to the drawing board.

Corrugated Cardboard Bookshelf Speaker ProjectHide this!Advertise here!