Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Corrugated Cardboard Bookshelf Speaker Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2018, 02:59 AM   #21
BasicHIFI1 is offline BasicHIFI1  Sri Lanka
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirik hansen View Post
I used an old plasmascreen box to make midbasshorns.
Looks great, but what is it? I have never heard of midbasshorns before. Sorry. What are you going to cover it with? Lots of speakers out there made of cardboard, but nothing that looks like wood.

There were some pyramid shaped speakers someone made...
Old 5th February 2018, 02:15 PM   #22
eirik hansen is offline eirik hansen
diyAudio Member

They are horns reproducing the frequency range from upper bass to lower mid.
In my case from 150Hz to 600Hz, with an 8 inch driver.
Further information about the original design can be found on John's pages.

135 hz Mid Bass Horn - The Paper Horn by Inlow Sound

Although my version really does have only the horn profile in common with John's design.

Not really of much relevance to your thread other than it being made from cardboard ofcourse.
Or maybe you can make a horn for your driver?

The dustcap of the driver can be seen at the beginning of the horn in the attached picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0011.jpg (661.3 KB, 181 views)
Old 6th February 2018, 03:23 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I could not figure out how the horn works: I associate a horn with the awful bullhorn hand held speaker, with its headache - inducing resonances.

Apparently this need not be so, and for a small space, maybe a folding of the horn will work.

Wikipedia explains it quite well here:

Quote:
An acoustic horn converts large pressure variations with a small displacement area into a low pressure variation with a large displacement area and vice versa. It does this through the gradual, often exponential increase of the cross sectional area of the horn.
So you are creating a sort of an large speaker diaphragm made entirely out of an air column, these seem ideal for the low power amps that I am using and hope to continue using, I can even get a hand built tube amp made for about $100, so all things are considered.
Old 6th February 2018, 05:32 PM   #24
eirik hansen is offline eirik hansen
diyAudio Member

Yes for low wattage power amps, horns are very useful, this is basically why they were invinted, back when watts were far between.

I am no expert but your conclusions are valid.
Horns can be designed free of annoying resonances and with the right driver can deliver low distortion dynamic sound.
They can increase the drivers coupling to the air and control directivity of the speaker

There are horns that load the front of the driver and there are those who load the rear of the driver, they are quite different, some take advantage of both.
Old 9th February 2018, 04:44 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Using Cardboard boxes and chemical fumes

Anyone using cardboard boxes experience the odor that comes from these things when they are new? I obtained some the other day and I will have to let them stand for a week or so before they can be used. The chemicals seem to be irritating my throat as well.

I did some searching on the web to find the following:

Bad perfume: Cardboard’s intense scents | Science News

Quote:
Czerny and Buettner describe two constituents of cardboard’s scent — 4-methylphenol and 4-ethylphenol — as having a “horse stable-like, fecal” smell. Other off-gassed chemicals smelled: “cheesy, sweaty;” soapy, fatty, mushroomlike, citrusy, spicy, woody or coconutty. A compound known as 2-methoxyphenol seemed to have a particularly complex scent — at once smoky, vanillalike and sweet.
The older boxes I have have lost their odor completely, but have also become sort of soft.
Old 9th February 2018, 06:45 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Cardboard box is not suitable

The thin walled cardboard box, while sounding fine, was simply not strong enough or stiff enough to mount the speaker without the front panel bending as shown in photo.

I will have to use a thicker corrugated cardboard box, testing the mounting of the speaker first since this is a weak point of installations so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpkrInBox.jpg (40.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 9th February 2018, 07:16 AM   #27
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Use triple ply corrugated cardboard for baffle. Add thick squares of triple ply after screws go. Use hot melt glue for quick assembly. Can add thick ply baffle to thin ply box. Or foam core box.
Old 9th February 2018, 07:41 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Better

Much better as seen here, this is "double wall" corrugated cardboard. I will use proper bolts instead of the wood screws, but this arrangement is much more secure. I need to seal the gaps though, maybe white glue will do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpkrOnCardb1S.jpg (61.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg SpkrOnCb2S.jpg (54.9 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by BasicHIFI1; 9th February 2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 9th February 2018, 10:53 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

While I am thinking about the enclosure here is a site with the clearest instructions I have seen on building speakers.

Speakers: Cabinets

Time to refer to my Kindle edition of Designing, Building, and Testing Your Own Speaker System with Projects 4th Edition
by David B. Weems (Author)
Old 12th February 2018, 03:27 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Some Success

I decided to go ahead and complete the speaker enclosure with the originally intended speakers, giving one last chance to adress the lack of bass and presence of distortion,

The top was not glued and sealed yet, however it was tested with my PC speaker sub watt amplifier, and although it sounded fairly clear, it was not simply loud enough.

The second test was with the Sony SS vintage system:

I post pictures of my current systems

The clarity was there, along with some distortion, and since I am into clarity of sound at the moment, this was a big plus. Bass was effected through the usual loudness switch and bass controls which I use in all my listening anyway, and resulted in quite an acceptable little speaker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BookshelfCARD1.jpg (48.3 KB, 92 views)

Corrugated Cardboard Bookshelf Speaker ProjectHide this!Advertise here!