Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Corrugated Cardboard Bookshelf Speaker Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2018, 12:14 AM   #11
BasicHIFI1 is offline BasicHIFI1  Sri Lanka
diyAudio Member

Sounds Terrible
Terrible. I installed the speaker in the box alright, but the problem is the speaker, it gives out a distorted sound, no matter where it is placed. The smaller full range I have sounds better, by itself, in open baffle mode, so that pretty much settles it.

Its a woofer (duh)
Apparently its a woofer (says so on the label) and I need a coil to keep out those bad mid to high frequencies, and that means a tweeter is needed as well. More complexities.

The lesson is:
Choose your drivers carefully and listen before you buy, or buy a reputable brand and check its reviews online. Or go for a full range.

What next:
Since the whole exercise was to check how a cardboard enclosure sounds, I will place my earlier full range speakers into a simple cardboard box from that a rechargeable light came in, and test.

All that work...

Last edited by BasicHIFI1; 4th February 2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 4th February 2018, 01:12 AM   #12
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I applaud you trying the unusual...

If you browse enough here and elsewhere, people make boxes of all sorts of materials, sometimes even MDF or plywood.

I've done some half-assed experiments, which pretty much describes all my DIY efforts, with plywood or similar. Just for fun. xrk971 here has had great success with foam core board.

Based on my ***/2 researches I would say that a heavy duty cardboard box will work decently for a smaller full range (auto two/three way for example) speaker. I had good results using a cat litter box. Sturdy cardboard and a built in carrying handle

Not so well for a subwoofer (yes I tried it and what a mess.)

The important thing is, if you make a successful cardboard speaker:

1. Don't sit on it.
Old 4th February 2018, 06:02 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Success thinking out of the box

I place my PC speaker driver - by the way it is a HYH unit, very similar to what is tested here:

YouTube

In the cardboard box in which I cut out a round hole, by hand, using a router.

It sounds good, press on the top and bottom of the box to fully seal it and the bass increases a bit more, press on the sides and that increase the bass some more. I could try some bracing to make it stiffer in the sides.

Next: secure the speakers, seal the enclosure and paint it to look like wood. Or granite. I also plan to add a cloth grille. It should look presentable, and I already know the sound is good - when you listen to a speaker and think "I could listen to this forever" you have a winner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MicroBR2.jpg (50.3 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Microb2R.jpg (52.3 KB, 212 views)
Old 4th February 2018, 06:28 AM   #14
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Cost savings...most of the cheap boxes that you can find around are made from thin chipboard with vinyl covering, a plastic baffle for the looks and cheap drivers arranged in a simple way ( some capacitor for the tweeter or even a fake piezo not connected ! ).
But they do work; going cheaper than that it is just frustating !
I found that eliminating the plastic baffle and securing the woofer tightly to the baffle and then reworking the crossover for letting the speaker to play as the norm, works.
Old 4th February 2018, 02:58 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Familiar with these chipboard things, mini systems had these, but the worst is using plastic anywhere in a speaker. I am happy for the suppliers making lots of money from cheap speakers and giving DIYers a chance to prove their skills.

There are some cardboard speakers on the web: the sub here is impressive:

YouTube

Instructions:

How to Make a Speaker Box From a Cardboard Box | Techwalla.com

Coolest Gadgets:

Cardboard Box Speakers >> Coolest Gadgets

Ali Baba

Mobile Phone Foldable Cardboard Speaker - Buy Cardboard Speaker,Foldable Cardboard Speaker,Mobile Phone Foldable Cardboard Speaker Product on Alibaba.com

More instructions:
Build your own DIY Speakers out of their cardboard box - Technology Will Save Us

Nothing with a cloth grille yet, and wood like appearance, hopefully mine will be the first.

Last edited by BasicHIFI1; 4th February 2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 4th February 2018, 03:12 PM   #16
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Wood look

Unlike my carpentry skills, I have some experience with "wood graining" but only at the amateur level. It is very easy to do wood colors with just a few coats of paint, or just get vinyl (contact paper) in a pattern you like. I guess you could put real wood veneer on cardboard but then it is rapidly getting into carpentry and real wood prices
Old 4th February 2018, 07:42 PM   #17
eirik hansen is offline eirik hansen
diyAudio Member

I used an old plasmascreen box to make midbasshorns.
There is some vibration when playing, and resonans around 2-300 Hz which I hope I might get rid of with some bracing, but for now I am enjoying them from 150Hz to 600Hz.

I made them similar in profile to John Inslows 135Hz horn, but I am using the JA-8008 as my driver, not the b&c unit.
The rear chamber is a sonotube that fits against the flange of the driver, giving me a minimal chamber.

I taped it together first but the edges were rubbing against eachother making a buzzing sound, that was solved with silicone.
All braces and the connection to the baffle are glued with epoxy, the throat is very stiff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0002.jpg (707.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0003.jpg (673.5 KB, 149 views)
Old 4th February 2018, 10:29 PM   #18
drpro is offline drpro  United States
diyAudio Member

So I ran across this site that has cardboard building tools and fasteners, might be useful in speaker building.
No connection with the company.

Makedo - Cardboard Construction – Makedo Cardboard Construction

David
Old 5th February 2018, 02:52 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldermizer View Post
Unlike my carpentry skills, I have some experience with "wood graining" but only at the amateur level. It is very easy to do wood colors with just a few coats of paint, or just get vinyl (contact paper) in a pattern you like. I guess you could put real wood veneer on cardboard but then it is rapidly getting into carpentry and real wood prices
Here us example

How to Make Anything Look Like Real Wood

I would like to use something like this:

Woodgrain Card Stock Paper | Embossed, Pattern, Texture - LCI Paper
Old 5th February 2018, 02:54 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

As an example of cardboard use:

A Cathedral:
A cardboard church! - Review of Cardboard Cathedral, Christchurch, New Zealand - TripAdvisor

A bike:
The Recycled Cardboard Bicycle [Video] - ChurchMag

And a train set:
YouTube

Corrugated Cardboard Bookshelf Speaker ProjectHide this!Advertise here!