Corrugated Cardboard Bookshelf Speaker Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They are horns reproducing the frequency range from upper bass to lower mid.
In my case from 150Hz to 600Hz, with an 8 inch driver.
Further information about the original design can be found on John's pages.

135 hz Mid Bass Horn - The Paper Horn by Inlow Sound

Although my version really does have only the horn profile in common with John's design.

Not really of much relevance to your thread other than it being made from cardboard ofcourse.
Or maybe you can make a horn for your driver? :)

The dustcap of the driver can be seen at the beginning of the horn in the attached picture

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    661.3 KB · Views: 266
Joined 2015
Paid Member
I could not figure out how the horn works: I associate a horn with the awful bullhorn hand held speaker, with its headache - inducing resonances.

Apparently this need not be so, and for a small space, maybe a folding of the horn will work.

Wikipedia explains it quite well here:

An acoustic horn converts large pressure variations with a small displacement area into a low pressure variation with a large displacement area and vice versa. It does this through the gradual, often exponential increase of the cross sectional area of the horn.

So you are creating a sort of an large speaker diaphragm made entirely out of an air column, these seem ideal for the low power amps that I am using and hope to continue using, I can even get a hand built tube amp made for about $100, so all things are considered.

Yes for low wattage power amps, horns are very useful, this is basically why they were invinted, back when watts were far between.

I am no expert but your conclusions are valid.
Horns can be designed free of annoying resonances and with the right driver can deliver low distortion dynamic sound.
They can increase the drivers coupling to the air and control directivity of the speaker

There are horns that load the front of the driver and there are those who load the rear of the driver, they are quite different, some take advantage of both.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Using Cardboard boxes and chemical fumes

Anyone using cardboard boxes experience the odor that comes from these things when they are new? I obtained some the other day and I will have to let them stand for a week or so before they can be used. The chemicals seem to be irritating my throat as well.

I did some searching on the web to find the following:

Bad perfume: Cardboard’s intense scents | Science News

Czerny and Buettner describe two constituents of cardboard’s scent — 4-methylphenol and 4-ethylphenol — as having a “horse stable-like, fecal” smell. Other off-gassed chemicals smelled: “cheesy, sweaty;” soapy, fatty, mushroomlike, citrusy, spicy, woody or coconutty. A compound known as 2-methoxyphenol seemed to have a particularly complex scent — at once smoky, vanillalike and sweet.

The older boxes I have have lost their odor completely, but have also become sort of soft.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Cardboard box is not suitable

The thin walled cardboard box, while sounding fine, was simply not strong enough or stiff enough to mount the speaker without the front panel bending as shown in photo.

I will have to use a thicker corrugated cardboard box, testing the mounting of the speaker first since this is a weak point of installations so far.

Attachments

• SpkrInBox.jpg
    SpkrInBox.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 205
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Better

Much better as seen here, this is "double wall" corrugated cardboard. I will use proper bolts instead of the wood screws, but this arrangement is much more secure. I need to seal the gaps though, maybe white glue will do it.

Attachments

• SpkrOnCardb1S.jpg
    SpkrOnCardb1S.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 189
  • SpkrOnCb2S.jpg
    SpkrOnCb2S.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Some Success

I decided to go ahead and complete the speaker enclosure with the originally intended speakers, giving one last chance to adress the lack of bass and presence of distortion,

The top was not glued and sealed yet, however it was tested with my PC speaker sub watt amplifier, and although it sounded fairly clear, it was not simply loud enough.

The second test was with the Sony SS vintage system:

I post pictures of my current systems

The clarity was there, along with some distortion, and since I am into clarity of sound at the moment, this was a big plus. Bass was effected through the usual loudness switch and bass controls which I use in all my listening anyway, and resulted in quite an acceptable little speaker.

Attachments

• BookshelfCARD1.jpg
    BookshelfCARD1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 171
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Better with TEA2025 2 W per channel

Better with the TEA2025, adequate power, full volume was not needed. Should be better after complete sealing and internal damping as well as adding extra panels to the inside.

Picture of 2025 board from an earlier post:

Attachments

• Tea2025Board.jpg
    Tea2025Board.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 302
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Latest testing showed some distortion at all levels, 60 -70 dB sound levels. I will be going for a crossover after all, common crossover frequency is 4000 Hz though I remember from earlier testing years ago I settled at a 470 uF capacitor for the best sound. This site suggests

Capacitors
C1 = 9.94 uF
Inductors
L1 = 0.16 mH

Joined 2015
Paid Member
In order to make a coil with the required inductance as given by this site:

Coil Inductance Calculator - Electrical Engineering & Electronics Tools

Number of turns: 35
Loop Diameter : 40 mm
Wire diameter (26 gauge): 0.254
Relative Permeability (copper) : 1

Permeability

Inductance: 0.000158H

I need about 8 meters of copper wire costing about USD 0.80

I need to strip the insulation off the ends first I had a time figuring why the copper wire was not conducting current!

Last edited:
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Some listening last night to digital streaming audio (Yonder.com) revealed the speakers were sounding quite pleasant with good quality audio. I really enjoyed "Beneath the Mask" , the clarity was there, possibly due to the crossoverless, full range set up with a port.

Time to complete the other speaker and finish the thing.

Next time I start with an adequate setup for bass.

I leave you with some links to images of cardboard speakers others have built.

Monitor speakers by Mitch Shivers at Coroflot.com
YouTube
YouTube
http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p572989259-4.jpg
https://www.juanmatoscapote.net/
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/wanting-to-dable-in-full-range-speakers.563852/page-2
https://randomoverload.org/cardboard-speakers

Last edited:
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Completed

The speaker has been completed, painted with black paint on the front panel, and covered with black paper on the sides. Ordinary poster color like paint was used.

It sounds good sometimes, sometimes distorted, which has to do with the speaker wires and tiny USB amplifier. All in all, I have had some very good listening sessions and have heard musical sounds never heard before on tracks I have heard before.

Completing the other side.

Attachments

• piaintedspkr.png
    piaintedspkr.png
    318.9 KB · Views: 209
Joined 2015
Paid Member
One problem with these speakers, not a problem with the speakers themselves actually, is that different recordings require different tone settings to play back with the correct tonal balance, and tone controls I do not have. For example Peter Gabriel's "SO" comes across nicely but Sade's "Promise" (both CDs) even though it is a CD, sounds a little more subdued.

One option then is to make the speakers a little bright to compensate for the varied recordings and to use tone controls.

The other option is to go two-way: testing with a tweeter showed much better reproduction of highs, needs toning down a bit, but two way seems the way to go, at least at my budget levels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.