Acoustic treatment of HIFI-room / bedroom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I'm turning my bedroom into a very nice hifi room. I've never been a fan of TV to be fair, so I'd like to get rid of it and setup proper acoustics for my Dali Zensor 7 speakers. They perform very nice, and but I might upgrade them in the future, but I'd rather upgrade the acoustics before I start investing in better speakers. I'd therefore hear if you guys could help me. I don't have exact measurements of all walls, but I know from recordings that there is a terrible response-dip around 120-180hz (perhaps a bit lower actually) and I'd like to know how I can improve the rooms acoustics. The room is 2,6m x 4,5-5m and is 2,5m tall. There is a big sleeping-couch in the end and there's carpet on the floor. I was thinking about investing in diffusers for the backwall above the bed, but perhaps I should go for 2 basstraps (total 2meters tall) in the corners next to the couch.

Room - semi-bad acoustics - Album on Imgur

The sound now is not very warm, and I'd like it to be warmer. And also to improve the kick. What do you reckon would be a good solution? Also consider pricepoint, since I'm not gonna invest too much into this.

Thanks!

Bass traps are a must. It will help the cancellations around that 150Hz.

If your time is precious, then there are products out there. If you have time and the inclination, you can build your own.

Also, you will need a dampening panel behind the couch to kill that reflection.
It can be done tastefully by using a frame, some absorption material and a picture printed on cloth over it, or just plain colours.

Look at the Led Zep panel behind this couch, it is meant to kill that early reflection coming back. You will need something like that since the couch is directly on the wall.

LineArray.jpg

Hello, bumping up this thread because this fits my situation and this thread is one of the more recent on this subject. :)
I am having a similar situation. Room is 230x290cm with 270cm tall ceiling. Before I tried placing the speakers on the long end, but the wall behind the speakers is a big window. The left wall is a drywall and the right wall is concrete. In this setup I can place two absorber panels on each side. I am just worried about the front wall being glass. In this setup, the sound is thin, bass is weak.

Recently I moved the speakers to a corner, following Decware's paper. This results in a more pleasant living space, but the audio is boomy in the mid to midbass area. My front wall is now a concrete corner.

Any pointers what I can do? Moving room is not an option right now, and I don't enjoy headphones as much as I do speakers. Thank you very much for any suggestions.

IMO....

As mentioned by others, speakers need to be a lot further away from the corners, probably the sides more than the front(back?!?) wall.

Sitting on the edge of the bed is OK. Nothing particularly close to your ears.

Almost tempted to tell you to attach sound panels to the sides of the speakers or near as damnit. Panels with folded cotton towels inside and/or Melamine foam/magic sponge will work to reduce energy available to bouncing around the room.

For bass management, you need a reasonable measurement microphone setup to use with REW or similar.

J.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.