Audax AM21LB25ALBC 8" Paper Cone Full Range new at Madisound!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After using 8" fullranges, I don't buy into the room response averaging for freq response.
8" with whizzer, on axis fine (2 people wide at 10'), otherwise, no high end.

For the response to even out in-room, the driver really needs a hot top-end. My principal experience with such a setup is the Philips 9710, which exhibits a ~8-10dB shelf above 2.5kHz. It's quite brutal on-axis otherwise.

Classic reflex [Fb = ~Fs]:

Vb = 45.14 L net
Ap = 25.3 cm^2/2.5" dia.
Lp = 6.8 cm/2.68"
S0 = L*0.43 assuming a golden ratio cab
Po = L*0.848

~42 Hz MLTL

Vb = 91.45 L net
L = 152.4 cm/60"
Am = 600 cm^2
So = L*0.349
Ap = 214 cm^2/33.17"^2
Lp = 1.9 cm/0.75"
Po = L*0.848

All dims inside [i.d.] and approximate; damp to 'taste'.

GM

Well, I fell off the wagon this time....

I picked up a pair of these fullrangers finally as a covid project since I am home until march or so...

They are beautiful!! Really well made cone and basket.

pics-

Attachments

• thumbnail (24)audax6.jpg
    thumbnail (24)audax6.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 266
  • thumbnail (24)audax5.jpg
    thumbnail (24)audax5.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 268
  • thumbnail (24)audax4.jpg
    thumbnail (24)audax4.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 267
  • thumbnail (24)audax3.jpg
    thumbnail (24)audax3.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 247
They seem to have a very well coated cone, a phase plug made of rubber, and the accordion surround that I usually like. There is a single line of some sort of rubber coating around the back edge of the whizzer cone. It seems to be a shot at dampening some of the distortions. The backside of the main cone is also coated multiple times with various thicker lines of rubbery coating at different areas. It apparently is also marketed as having a hybrid magnet system, with a ferrite, and a neodymium magnet in the motor.
Preliminary listening tests are very promising, I'm working on getting a box built at the moment. It might need a dampening network, but that will have to be decided after testing in its final box. As of right now I am very impressed!

I have had countless fostex, a few from seas, and some vintage ones as well as various other full ranges, and these are looking A Cut Above what I have normally seen, including the limited editions from fostex.

not bad.....

Last edited:
Yes! I'm looking to build my first pair of single driver speakers and have been looking at these. Do you know what sort of enclosure you are going to build? I think I'm going with the voigt pipe from World's Second Best Speakers! - YouTube BUT now I've jumped down the rabbit hole and have reached the foothills of confusion after the plains of simplicity (to mix metaphors). happy building, and do keep us abreast..

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
]World's Second Best Speakers! - YouTube

Do not waste your time. I feel it is important that 1st timers are successful out of the gate.

I watched that video. The guy knows just enuff to get himself in trouble. You have to know more than he does to separate the solid work he does from the stuff that is misleading.

Any Voigt should be mass-loaded and designed for the specific driver you are planning on using.

dave

For those reading French, this driver has been thoroughly analysed in the following site. Could be a very simple BR box. This site is well regarded by French DIY'ers.

Paramètres haut-parleur de THIELE et SMALL, sans filtre ni ampli

This driver is much appreciated within the FR DIY community, although not as much as the earlier Audax from the 70's, 80's

Naow zis eaze zeu timeu to broeusch hup yoor French.

Enjoy.

Well guys, these have been breaking in well.... They sound great!

I am excited to get them in the final enclosure and hear what they can really do.

To be honest, I am thinking of the MLTL in the datasheet.

They might need a BSC circuit though.

I am open to other options though, (Dave...... scott.......:):)

All in all, I am impressed at the care taken in the construction. I have had many Fostex, the special editions..... The FF225K is my daily driver at the moment. Pun intended.:rolleyes:

The FA22RCZ as well, in a Karlsonator 8. A friend of mine heard them and made me an offer I couldnt refuse...:D

This one seems to be as good or better than the others.

Looks like I need to brush up on my French!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.