Sanity Check (Peerless 830986 design)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear all,

I am toying with the idea of building my first DIY speakers pair for a small bedroom.

I started using DiyAudioVideo's online designer for a 3" Peerless 830986 driver (Vas 0.94l, fs 105.05Hz and Qts of 0.76).

I was quite surprised to obtain an f3 of 43Hz for a ~7l ported box and still an impressive 57Hz for a 3l 4th order Butterworth ported enclosure.

Such low frequency range limits seem too good to be true for such a small driver, and I'm surprised the Butterworth calculation results in a smaller box when the online help says the result should be the opposite... even if both boxes are still fairly large compared to the driver.

Where's the catch?

The catch will be limited power handling. You'll find it'll exceed Xmax at a couple of watts input. You might find it difficult to fit a long enough port in there - PRs might be worth a look.

Small, high Qts drivers often spec well for ported boxes much larger than Vas.

Chris

The catch will be limited power handling. You'll find it'll exceed Xmax at a couple of watts input. You might find it difficult to fit a long enough port in there - PRs might be worth a look.

Ah... makes sense I guess. The proposed port was "only" 13cm long (or thereabout), still very manageable in a 3l box. But if the resulting speaker is only usable at very low level, it may not be worth the hassle...

He didn't say very low level listening, he said limited power handling.

Which means that if you are expecting THX movie levels, you are going to blow it. If you are expecting to throw a party with these, you will blow them. Then again, this is a 3" driver. Expectations should be related to a 3" driver, and in this case, it is no different than any other driver rated at 84dB, with a power handling of 15-30W, and a 2mm Xmax.

The Peerless 830986 is a fine driver that will provide a very nice listening session, but it won't rattle the windows, and it won't play deep house cranked to 11.

If you want louder in a 3", check out Faital Pro's offerings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.