What do you think of this driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Might make a fine wide band mid for a 1st order crossover in a hole filler alignment. It has a very smooth mid range from 200Hz to 10kHz. So centered at 2.5kHz will get 2 octaves on the top and bottom while staying away from excursion issues. 85dB should be ok for use with 88dB sensitive woofer. Big issue is very limited power handling.

Last edited:
FWIW, it's very similar in size to a mid-range unit McIntosh Labs is using by the boatload in their current production models ranging from small bookshelf to larger floorstanders. One model has 28 2" upper midrange and 45 3/4" tweeters per size. The wiring harness must be an absolute nightmare.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
High qts.

I wouldn't exactly call this high Qts where lots of full rangers can have a Qts of greater than 1. A Qts of 1 gives you literally no flexibility for a cabinet design that ends with a decent alignment.

A Qts of 0.46 is very usable and is actually perfect for maximising bass extension in small passive radiator type designs. Granted a Qts on the higher side, + ported, is usually seen as a bad thing as it typically requires a gigantic box. But when your driver has a VAS of 0.15 litres, it's really not much of an issue.

I saw this driver a while back, when I was developing my tiny bluetooth speakers and considered it next to the W1-2121S from Tangband.

The TB has the edge in terms of extension and frequency response attractiveness. But it is quite a bit more expensive.

I was thinking of using 8 of them in a vertical array together with a 15" woofer for a wide range electric guitar floor monitor........in essence replacing the need for a compression driver and horn. Usefull range needs to be 50hz to 10k so crossed over at 700hz or so should extend power handling significantly and the off axis response in it's usefull range makes it ideal for monitoring.

I would only use this as a mid driver, crossover at 350hz and 6kHz as outer range. But even for that it's very low efficient so there are probally better choices that will fit better in most cases. Maybe for a very small portable speaker it's fit, and only if you use some in an array to get some volume.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.