Building 2 tops

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I have a lot of questions about building speakers!
I am going to build 2 "top" speakers for around 1500 euro with my dad, he has builded some speakers himself when he was young.
But i don't know which speakercomponent brands are any good? In the price/quality point of view. Aside of that i am getting crazy about how many speaker cabinet designs there are around, which one is the best for me? I don't know any more i have been searching for 2 and half months now and hoping to build it in about 3 to 4 months. I usually dj for about 50 to 250 people, but i don't know how this will look in the future. I am going to build subwoofers later, for now it's just two tops!

Hope you guys can help me out!

if the objective is a DJ system perhaps a moderator can move your thread to the PA section of the forum you will get better targeted responses there.
don't get caught up on the whole "which is best" thing as there is so many workable solutions that the exercise of sorting through it all will take more time then you want to spend.
what are you currently using for your DJ gig's now? if we look at what your currently using it may be easier to make suggestions that would work and fit your budget.

IMO, if you want just tops for DJ use, you need 15"s. For use with subs, 12"s.

You've a lot of research ahead of you, but FWIW, I did a pair of tops that didn't need subs a while ago:
Beyma 15P1200Nd, ported, tuned around 45Hz
EV DH1a for HF.
1kHz crossover, drop 1KW+ into the 15" and you can make quite a lot of noise, even in the bass.

The horn I was using mandated a 1kHz crossover, but a larger one would manage a 6-800Hz crossover point, which would be better since that 15" is a subwoofer driver.

Brands to look at:
- Faital Pro
- B&C
- BMS
- 18Sound
- RCF
- Beyma
- Precision Devices

IMO, the likes of Fane and Eminence are behind those if you want the top-of-the-line drivers that your budget can afford.

Chris

Another aspect of the touring artist is portability.

Do you mind lugging around huge boxes, or do you need something easier to carry?

Big boxes, like horns, will get you the sound pressure you need... and will need a forklift to carry them around.

On the other extreme would be two line arrays of 3" or 4" drivers, say 9 drivers each, mounted stop two subwoofer boxes. That would be easier to lug around.

It's all about your needs and/or limitations.

Another aspect of the touring artist is portability.

Do you mind lugging around huge boxes, or do you need something easier to carry?

Big boxes, like horns, will get you the sound pressure you need... and will need a forklift to carry them around.

On the other extreme would be two line arrays of 3" or 4" drivers, say 9 drivers each, mounted stop two subwoofer boxes. That would be easier to lug around.

It's all about your needs and/or limitations.

I do not care about the weight, i only care about the sound quality!!

if the objective is a DJ system perhaps a moderator can move your thread to the PA section of the forum you will get better targeted responses there.
don't get caught up on the whole "which is best" thing as there is so many workable solutions that the exercise of sorting through it all will take more time then you want to spend.
what are you currently using for your DJ gig's now? if we look at what your currently using it may be easier to make suggestions that would work and fit your budget.

I am curreny using four teribble samson tops, they are pretty bad, but i wan't to make a big step fast so i could use these speakers for about 4 years or something!

I do not care about the weight, i only care about the sound quality!!

Lol!

No, trust me, you care about the weight.
Larger PA cabinets can easily end up a four-man lift.

I've played with 15" tops that weigh 43kg each, and believe me, you don't want to have to put those on stands.

IMO, you need to either design some tops that are fine on their own, or design some for use with subs, and build the subs at the same time. Having a 15" top isn't much use if you're going to add subwoofers, but a 12" won't do enough bass IMO to be satisying on its own for DJ use.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.