Redeye or Lance, which to build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Gents,

I have been interested in comparing the Redeye design to the excellent sounding Pico Neos since both use the same Aurasound NS3 driver. After having been guided to the plans for the Redeye earlier today I noticed that the Lance design was more compact than the Redeye and was getting great reviews.
I suspect that the Redeye would have deeper bass because of the bigger cabinet and Xmax of the NS3 and I am hoping to not to feel the need for a sub, but, if the Lances come close in the bass and are better in other respects the smaller form factor would be a big plus.
My personal desktop system is Brio Trio clones plus a Voxel sub and am not trying to equal that. The speakers will be gifted to my nephew for computer use with a T amp. Your thoughts about the relative merits of the two designs would be much appreciated.

Best,
Jay

Thanks for the reply Dave. I realized before posting that that was the case and think it is great that Scott Lindgren has used his tremendous expertise to design cabinets specifically for these small drivers. What I'm still wondering though, is what the sonic differences are between the Lance and Redeye when used with the appropriate drivers for them.

Best ,
Jay

NS3 in the Redeye is "meaty" down to at least 60 hz. Bass drum on S&G's America on the Alterntive 60s album don't seem to appear. But they're at 45Hz or so and only appear on the 8" woofers helping my TC9s in the active system.

NS3 loses out at the top end. It's darker in presentation anyway and could do with an EQ boost to the top end. Though ideally, a small tweeter would help enormously (not quite in the spirit of the thing though).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It should be noted that Frugel-Horn Lite extracts the most bass out of these drivers and given the domination of th ehorn on the LF response, evens things out. They still don’t cover the lowest octaves but they do the 1st harmonic so well that you are tricked into thing they go lower than they do. Myself and others have been very surprised at how well a set of FF85wl or Alpair 5.2 do in the FH-Lite. Scott was doing a show in th eUK, and people were coming back to listen to the FH-Lite with A5.2 (not the also present FHXL) because they could not believe what they were hearing.

dave

If you do a search, very few Bloodhounds with the Alpair 5.2 have been built on this forum. These could possibly be the ultimate computer speakers in existence given the size of the box.

A search for the Bloodhounds has not thrown up any information of a completed build.

I already have the Lances and I know how good they sound. I also have the A5.2s in the frugel-Horn Lites and they're great-sounding, so I have high expectations of the Bloodhounds.

I've decided to make my own pair sometime soon. I'll report back once I'm done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.