need suggestion for 4 liter desktop project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for some suggestions from the full range forum members on a project for some approx. 4 liter cabinets for my desktop.
Although they are good I would like to upgrade my desktop Amethyst speakers to the "next" level .
The late Lou C. designed this micro monitor around the Tang Band W4-1052 FR with a helper neo tweeter.
I will use some 1/2 inch Baltic Birch for the cabinets , I don't use MDF.
Slot vent or port tube.
The source is nothing too fancy - It's for a small office desk in a dormer room .
Squeezebox Touch or a Sony 520 Minidisc player feeding a Little Dot Mk.II+ tube preamp > Dayton DTA100 amp

Many thanks for your response(s)

FF85WK or Alpair 6 or 5.2 in something like Dave's little micro 'Ken would be the first thing that pops into mind. I've built literally dozens of them, and certainly 1/2" BB is quite sufficient soncially, unless you want to go thicker to allow for fancy beveled edge detailing.

Then of course there's the Peerless TG9 - I can't remember what sized vented box would be optimal for your application, but I'm sure XRK could pipe in on that anytime.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FF85wk & Alpair 5.2 fit into an optimum 2.5 litre miniOnken. A6.2m optimum 3.6L. A6p optimum 5 litre but fir into a common 2.5 litre uMar-Ken with the A6.2m. FF105wk has a 3.6 litre CGR Fonken. We fir a whole bunch of larger drivers (including A6.2p & FF105wk) into the 4.7 litre (net) millSize box.

We put the TG9 into a 5.5 litre sealed box (a millSize with no vent).

Chris’ solid walnut uFonkenSET with FF85wKeN.

blackWalnut-uFonkenSET-comp.jpg

dave

Thanks for your suggestions
That FF105 looks promising and maybe a step up from the Tang Band 1052 I currently use .

Tang Band W4-1052SD 4" Driver 4 Ohm

I have a plunge router with several bits... but no table saw .
The Fonken plans are probably above my current skill set with their nice beveled baffle side vents.
I looked at the FF105 page at Madisound and Foster has a box plan for the FF105 with a port tube but I was hoping to use a slot vent if possible.

Dave, I just noticed your FF105 plans are for 15mm so I'll run up to the lumber yard to get some 5/8th Baltic Birch for the cabinets.
My scraps here are only 12mm > or 1/2"

A question , can you share the Golden Ratio 5 liter vent dimensions ? :)
I can only "guesstimate" them from the drawing.
Any polyfill suggestions for the 5 liter design .
I was given a roll of material for the interior roofs of truck cabs that is an option for the sides or back interior wall if needed .

thanks again

kevin - as I've actually built quite a few of the Woden Baby Lab series, and probably more of Dave's designs than most folks ;), I can attest that the smaller boxes made with 1/2" / 12mm ply are easily braced sufficiently for the load that this class of drivers would impart.

During the years in which he collected thrift store sales of speakers to rescue the drivers, countless of the smaller enclosures were made from 1/2" ply of a much lower quality than BB, and with far less bracing than Scott or Dave like to employ.

Beauty :nod:, the linked plans printed and ready to start , this Canadian thanks you for your help Dave , and chris for your input.

I'll use the 4.7 liter model plan as opposed to the smaller 3.6 liter one shown on the link in post 7 of this thread.

There is nothing wrong with the Amethyst micro monitors I use that Lou C. designed. They work very well for what they are.
I just want to try a possibly better driver.

Is there any recommended contour circuit with the 105 driver ?
Or is it just best to run it with no filters ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.