Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Good 8" FR for Transmission Line
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2018, 06:50 PM   #1
CLAD is offline CLAD  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Good 8" FR for Transmission Line

Hi,
Can anyone recommend to me a good FullRange Driver that can produce decent bass in about a 60" TL.

I don't really want to go bigger than 8".

Thanks,

Chris
Old 15th January 2018, 07:47 PM   #2
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The TL really needs to be modelled for the choosen driver. Just specifiying a 60” line does not give anywhere near enuff info to define the line.

dave
Old 15th January 2018, 07:58 PM   #3
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

And how do you define "decent bass"?

jeff
Old 15th January 2018, 08:46 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

8" as in frame size, or effective cone size?

As you may not have discovered yet, there's more than a bit of confusion in classifying driver size.

That said, my go to suggestion would probably be either Alpair10.3 or its cousin Pluvia11, Fostex FF165WK, or SEAS F22. The latter is the largest cone of the group, and the only one listed with a whizzer cone.
Old 15th January 2018, 09:15 PM   #5
astrojet is offline astrojet
diyAudio Member

I've had both the Alpair 10.3 and Alpair 12pw (running FR) in TL. I greatly prefer the 12pw. I tend to like a bit of elevated bass in the ~50-200Hz region and don't care so much about absolute extension.
Old 15th January 2018, 09:20 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Yes, the 12PW will go lower, a pair per side in MLTL are quite stunning - definitely much lower than 50Hz - but while it's quite smooth enough as far as it goes, the top end has not much there. Are you using some type of tweeter?
Old 15th January 2018, 09:21 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The 2 Alpair 10s are outstanding, and can go low, if a bit more limited in how much air they will move — but the higher excursion of the Mark Audios does make the comparison tricky. There are Pensil ML-TL designs for both, and Jim Griffin has also done an ML-TL (none anywhere near 60” long). The SEAS FA22 Chris mentioned is a very good driver but really wants to be in a sealed box (50-60 litres is about right). My 1st thot was the FF225wk which is also an 8” but most feel it really needs a super tweeter. It has been put to good use in a Metronome (ML-Voigt). In the same vein is the Alpair 12pw (only a 6.5”), but it does go considerably higher then the FF225wk, and some find no need to augment its top. We have used a pair of them in a Woden specified ML-TL and they give tremendous bass (a WAW with the A7 as midTweeter). The FF165wk Chris mentioned, also a 6.5” doesn’t need help on the top, i’m not sure if we have a TL for them (it would be an ML-TL), but one could be devised.

Bob Brines also has an ML-TL for the A10s, but he has retired and i don’t know if he is still selling plans.

The TB W8-1772 will be mentioned. I have had a few thru here, they are OK but i feel overpriced. Many that have them really like them, but i recently had a client send his back after getting Alpair 10PeN.

And if we are taking A10s, one would be giving it short shrift to not mention the same size Jordan Eikona. I haven’t heard it (i want to) but it gets very good reviews — i am a bit gunshy after the disappointment of the earlier JX92. And, with the sale on at Madisound it is something like twice as expensive as the Alpair 10.3.

dave
Old 15th January 2018, 09:42 PM   #8
astrojet is offline astrojet
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Yes, the 12PW will go lower, a pair per side in MLTL are quite stunning - definitely much lower than 50Hz - but while it's quite smooth enough as far as it goes, the top end has not much there. Are you using some type of tweeter?
Some of the time I add a 10kHz+ waveguided compression driver to the 12pw. However, a lot of the time I listen to it by itself. Perhaps it isn't completely hifi, but it is enjoyable. I'm thinking of making new MLTL cabs with the 12pw + a pair of Alpair 5.2.

I'm certainly inspired by your 2X12pw+7.3, but they are just too large for my space.
Old 15th January 2018, 10:17 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

For the single driver ML-TL just divide the MTM in half vertically and place the centre of the driver at the space between the 2 12pw. Getting the A5.2 housed would get tricky with a side pod, or use the folded version.

dave
Old 15th January 2018, 10:24 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Here:

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/A12...tl-extents.pdf

dave

Good 8" FR for Transmission LineHide this!Advertise here!