Good 8" FR for Transmission Line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That photo is not the Voigt Pipe with an offset driver.

Its not. It is the TL project i mentioned from speaker builder. What we have learned about TLs since King and Augspurger released their TL models in 1999 means we can design something considerably more optimal.

Sure you can email me, but i am sure that readers will be interested in what happens.

dave

Yes, I see.

That is a true Voigt Pipe!

The 60" length, and the offset location of the driver is the critical component. The air does not necessarily need to travel the same direction down the full length of the line.

Hornresp automatically modeled that particular alignment for me, and I had to change it because I didn't recognize it as a TL. I'll switch it back and see what happens.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you vent the annulus section (the outside) of the concentric pipes, you have an expanding volume toward the terminus so it is a Voigt. If you vent the inner pipe you have a smaller end terminus. The latter will need to be much shorter. If your goal is to get about a 30” height, and given the 50% offset limitation i’d suggest the Voigt as being able to get you closer to optimum performance.

Mass-loading is accomplished by restricting the terminus which in the real worls looks like a port. I prefer slot vents, but a “plumbing pipe” (or a bunch of smaller ones in parallel) is also applicable.

Then you need to find a driver with Qt, Vas that works in your restricted enclosure. Fs can be tuned for by the exact length you end up with.

dave

Ok.

Thanks Dave, and others!

I have enough information to get to work.

I'm going to use the SEAS FA22-8. I'm not sure if it was recommended, but the recommendations and a little homework got me to Madisound, and steered me away from the PS220 and the Betsy.

It's going to be a 24" pipe inside a 30" pipe, like the image you showed me Dave. Driver will fire out the top, port will fire out the bottom. (hornresp, from my modeling actually looked a looked a little better when I fired the port out of the small pipe???)

I'll post pictures when I have them.

Cheers!

Chris

That was the conclusion I came to when I modeled the typical bass reflex as a comparison. The FR was very close to the same for both simulations.

What I am going to do, just for kicks, Is build it first as a Bass Reflex, but make it modular so I can take it apart and add the inside pipe afterward, to see if it has any effect at all.

I kind of doubt it will do anything. It might control the modes a little bit, and it will give me the option to stuff half the enclosure at a time, which did produce slightly varying results on Hornresp.

That's the plan!

I didn't really see any problems with it, other than it wasn't great, but BR put me back to the possibility of using PS220, (which is a little cheaper), and a10" pipe.

That one doesn't really impress me that much either, but I'm just experimenting with the "Omni" idea, so it just has to be relatively acceptable.

I might stick with BR, but to stay in line with my philosophy of trying to do something a little untypical, I might put a 10" pipe inside a 12" pipe, and fill the gap with concrete, or sand.

Any other High Mass enthusiasts out there??

Speaker Design Works

See if you can use anything from here. I also had a discussion on this some time back about coaxial pipes.

I did some thinking on this matter some time ago and unfortunately this is project is doomed to fail unless you add in an extra tweeter.

The problem is the TOTAL amount of treble generated by the speaker is significantly less than the mids and the bass. The treble is only on axis. When you disperse it around, the amount of treble will reduce significantly as the off axis has no treble component.

May I suggest you have a look at the linkwitz LX mini for inspiration? Somewhat similar in concept. Instead of sealed, use it as a coaxial transmission line.

An alternative could be to use a coaxial with a compression tweeter like a eminence beta. The tweeter is 10 db more than the woofer.

By the way. Don't give up on the coaxial transmission line. Cause I want to build it some day too and your experience could be useful..

Some thoughts. If you wanted front facing speaker add in a T junction. Alternatively cut a square hole at the side of the tube and use wood or something to make a Baffle. Get wooden vinyl to wrap your tubes.

BTW. I have heard orb omnidirectional speakers. Not impressed. Sounds float too much.. Can't have proper imaging.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.