MarkAudio CHR-70 enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy,

I've got this fun project in mind.. I have an ellipsoid enclosure of about 10.67 liters (cannot change size). This is the starting point :) Looking for a reasonable priced fullrange but with good quality, I chose Mark Audio CHR-70 as a candidate.
Should I choose a sealed or ported enclosure? Doesn't seem like a big difference for this particular project. I would not expect the best bass response from this enclosure type and size.
For vented, I calculated a 35 mm port diameter with a length of 80 mm for a Fb of 53 Hz.
I'm thinking also of a 280 uF capacitor in series as a high pass filter, to protect more the speaker under 70 Hz, but I have doubts as to add any crossover components here.

Any ideas? My knowledge on the topic is quite limited. Thanks!

CHR was the primary candidate, or have you already pushed the go button? If not, I'd suggest the Pluvia7.
A far cheaper approach for HP filter would be a PLLXO on the input of the amp driving the speaker - assuming of course you're not driving other speakers with it as well.

Wow, yes, seems a better idea, I'll go for the Pluvia 7! I've thought of several speakers, but this one I skipped, indeed. I am very curious of how it might sound in a Frugel-Horn. The ellipsoid enclosure might look interesting, but I suppose a Frugel-Horn might take the driver to it's full potential... :confused: :)

Thanks for the idea! You guys rock, as always!

The P7 works well in FH3. It is very much voiced like the A7.3 but is physically a bit more robust with a more durable cone and the new basket. It gives up some DDR to the A7.3 and has T/S that, so far, means it fits into enclosures originally designed for EL70 with little or no change.

dave

Hi Dave,
Does that mean that the P7 would work for the Woden Design enclosures designed for the CSS EL70?

Project finished :)
They sound nice, lows are more than expected, waiting a bit more on running-in because I feel they lack a little in the upper midrange - lower treble area.
Thanks guys for recommending Pluvia 7!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.