Choosing driver's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, this is my first post so go easy.

I've been looking into building speakers for a while as a hobby and this year I have the space to start.

My question is when looking at driver's (in this case full range) what specific information would tell you a good driver from a bad one?

For example, 2 different 4" driver's, one costing £15 and one costing £40. How could you tell them apart in terms of quality apart from the the obvious cost difference.

Like I say I'm new to this so go easy, I'm here to learn

Many thanks

Choosing drivers is in many cases a bit risky. Sometimes measurements are looking fine for both speakers and one can sound not so impressive like the other one with similar specs.

Also there is a need to have answers for some questions, like how will you power the speakers or how much space do you have for listening and how does it look like? Also what kind of music you will be listening to on those speakers?

Cheers

FR drivers, (& enclosures ?)

Hello everyone, this is my first post so go easy.

I've been looking into building speakers for a while as a hobby and this year I have the space to start.

My question is when looking at driver's (in this case full range) what specific information would tell you a good driver from a bad one?

For example, 2 different 4" driver's, one costing £15 and one costing £40. How could you tell them apart in terms of quality apart from the the obvious cost difference. Like I say I'm new to this so go easy, I'm here to learn. Many thanks

Hi there: Recommend a starting point by clicking on the Full Range threads here on Diyaudio. There is a wealth of information there. You will get exposed to many opinions on drivers and enclosure types. As others stated in earlier posts here, there is no one best solution. FR divers are relatively inexpensive, so try some out (mono?)...Michael

First, don't let low price fool you into thinking a driver can't sound good if it doesn't cost a lot. There are a LOT of drivers that are inexpensive, but sound great.
In my opinion, starting with Mark Audio drivers would be a good way to go. There are a lot of other good drivers, but in my opinion, you get a lot of bang for your buck with Mark Audio drivers. Plus, there are a lot of designs for them, with varying degrees of difficulty, from very simple to very complex.
Others will, I'm sure, disagree. However, as a guy who depends on the designs of others, I know Mark Audio works extremely well for me.
The CHP-70 is one of my favorite drivers and is inexpensive. A FAST:eek: or WAW is good option and relatively simple.
Once we know a little more info, we can make suggestions.
Welcome to the addiction!
Mike

Recommend a starting point by clicking on the Full Range threads here on Diyaudio.
This is a good way to start. When I began looking at "fullrange" (wideband really ;)) drivers I wasn't aware of this forum, so began with general internet searches. There used to be a site called "fullrangedriver.com" You will need to use the Wayback Machine to access it but it's well worth it. Published driver specs will not help you much, you'll need to do a lot of reading of other people's impressions and try to choose what to believe, that is assuming you don't want to someway or another listen to them all yourself :) Single Driver Website FullRangeDriver.com

Last edited:
But as far as looking at a spec/datasheet, maybe some warning signs would be dips or peaks between the critical 1kHz-7kHz range. Especially dips or peaks at multiple harmonic frequencies or even larger dips or peaks at a single frequency.
Also, a higher efficiency driver at a cheap price might be a warning sign. Probably should be used in a multi-way speaker config instead of full range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.