Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Choosing driver's
Choosing driver's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2018, 04:45 PM   #1
Chrispy61 is offline Chrispy61  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Choosing driver's

Hello everyone, this is my first post so go easy.

I've been looking into building speakers for a while as a hobby and this year I have the space to start.

My question is when looking at driver's (in this case full range) what specific information would tell you a good driver from a bad one?

For example, 2 different 4" driver's, one costing £15 and one costing £40. How could you tell them apart in terms of quality apart from the the obvious cost difference.

Like I say I'm new to this so go easy, I'm here to learn

Many thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 06:20 PM   #2
DamaDama is offline DamaDama  Poland
diyAudio Member

Choosing drivers is in many cases a bit risky. Sometimes measurements are looking fine for both speakers and one can sound not so impressive like the other one with similar specs.

Also there is a need to have answers for some questions, like how will you power the speakers or how much space do you have for listening and how does it look like? Also what kind of music you will be listening to on those speakers?

Cheers
Old 2nd January 2018, 06:47 PM   #3
Chrispy61 is offline Chrispy61  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

At the moment this isn't for anything specific but more of a general guide to choosing driver's. I've been looking at the Monacor brand which I can buy at a decent price but I was hoping for something that could apply to any speaker with a spec sheet
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:07 PM   #4
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Choosing driver's
One really has to listen to them, specs only tell you so much, and sometimes the wrong things…

dave
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:49 PM   #5
j.michael droke is offline j.michael droke  United States
diyAudio Member

Choosing driver's
Default FR drivers, (& enclosures ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy61 View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post so go easy.

I've been looking into building speakers for a while as a hobby and this year I have the space to start.

My question is when looking at driver's (in this case full range) what specific information would tell you a good driver from a bad one?

For example, 2 different 4" driver's, one costing £15 and one costing £40. How could you tell them apart in terms of quality apart from the the obvious cost difference. Like I say I'm new to this so go easy, I'm here to learn. Many thanks
Hi there: Recommend a starting point by clicking on the Full Range threads here on Diyaudio. There is a wealth of information there. You will get exposed to many opinions on drivers and enclosure types. As others stated in earlier posts here, there is no one best solution. FR divers are relatively inexpensive, so try some out (mono?)...Michael
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:34 PM   #6
mikejennens is offline mikejennens  United States
This speaker DIY thing, it's pretty addicting!
diyAudio Member

Choosing driver's
First, don't let low price fool you into thinking a driver can't sound good if it doesn't cost a lot. There are a LOT of drivers that are inexpensive, but sound great.
In my opinion, starting with Mark Audio drivers would be a good way to go. There are a lot of other good drivers, but in my opinion, you get a lot of bang for your buck with Mark Audio drivers. Plus, there are a lot of designs for them, with varying degrees of difficulty, from very simple to very complex.
Others will, I'm sure, disagree. However, as a guy who depends on the designs of others, I know Mark Audio works extremely well for me.
The CHP-70 is one of my favorite drivers and is inexpensive. A FAST or WAW is good option and relatively simple.
Once we know a little more info, we can make suggestions.
Welcome to the addiction!
Mike
Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, Paul Carmody's Sunflowers, Jeff Bagby's Continuums; Planet 10 HiFi's MarkAudio A 7.3 Frugalhorns and MarkAudio CHP-70s, Nola Brio Clones with a Voxel Sub and a bunch of others...
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:48 PM   #7
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
One really has to listen to them, specs only tell you so much, and sometimes the wrong things…

dave
I agree.
And sometimes even specs are wrong.
Either by intent or one simple typo or even more.
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:55 PM   #8
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.michael droke View Post
Recommend a starting point by clicking on the Full Range threads here on Diyaudio.
This is a good way to start. When I began looking at "fullrange" (wideband really ) drivers I wasn't aware of this forum, so began with general internet searches. There used to be a site called "fullrangedriver.com" You will need to use the Wayback Machine to access it but it's well worth it. Published driver specs will not help you much, you'll need to do a lot of reading of other people's impressions and try to choose what to believe, that is assuming you don't want to someway or another listen to them all yourself Single Driver Website FullRangeDriver.com

Last edited by scottjoplin; 2nd January 2018 at 11:07 PM.
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:58 PM   #9
Dr1v3n is offline Dr1v3n  United States
diyAudio Member

+1 for MarkAudio drivers.
I've listened to 4" Fostex drivers and also Peerless 4" drivers and finally bought a pair of Pluvia 7's for a pair of BLH's. Man they were an 'ear opener'. Quite a difference from the previous 2. Don't rule about 3" full rangers either. MA has a very interesting Alpair 5 Gen 2 driver.
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:39 PM   #10
needtubes is offline needtubes  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree about the smaller Mark Audio drivers. I use the Alpair 6p daily as nearfield computer speakers and am consistently amazed.

Choosing driver'sHide this!Advertise here!