Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Use of different model of driver for a recommended back horn enclosure? sizes same.
Use of different model of driver for a recommended back horn enclosure? sizes same.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2017, 06:02 PM   #1
iinself is offline iinself
diyAudio Member

Default Use of different model of driver for a recommended back horn enclosure? sizes same.

Hi,
I have pair of Tang Band W5-1611SAF 5" Full Range Speakers, and was looking to build the suggested Back Horn enclosure on Tang Band site - SUG1-03 - 5” Full Range Back Horn Design, Floor-Standing Enclosure Suggestion - TB SPEAKER CO., LTD.

The doubt I have is that although the speaker sizes are same the speakers suggested for that enclosure is different - W5-1880 - 5" Paper Neodymium Full Range - TB SPEAKER CO., LTD., is that okay?

Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 08:43 PM   #2
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The horn-load usually doninates but one has to be careful of substituting a different driver, particularily if there is no mechanism for tuning the horn to the driver.

Why not look at the Frugel-Horn Mk3? The W5-1611 has been successfully used in this horn — one does have to usea supraBaffle to make it fit.

dave
Old 30th December 2017, 12:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The horn-load usually doninates but one has to be careful of substituting a different driver, particularily if there is no mechanism for tuning the horn to the driver.

Why not look at the Frugel-Horn Mk3? The W5-1611 has been successfully used in this horn ó one does have to usea supraBaffle to make it fit.

dave
Hi Dave,

thanks.

Pardon my question I am new to this .
You mention that I have to use the supraBaffle to make it fit. I see pictures that don't seem to use the supraBaffle - Frugal-horn with small Ash waveguide, Tang Band W5-1611SAF… | Flickr ?
The reason I ask is, my wood work skill is level zero right now and I want to build a horn speaker with minimal wood work as I can get away with.

thanks.
Old 30th December 2017, 12:30 AM   #4
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Well maybe you can fit it. But with the big ceramic magnet on yours it would still be recommended. A sample draeing is in the planset.

dave
Old 30th December 2017, 02:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave, I will look into it.
Old 30th December 2017, 08:40 PM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

This type horn design is pretty tolerant of T/S specs, so why not just make it a bit wider to give the driver some breathing room? Worst case is it will need extra damping and/or some series resistance. 'BIB' rules in horn design.

GM
Old 31st December 2017, 02:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
This type horn design is pretty tolerant of T/S specs, so why not just make it a bit wider to give the driver some breathing room? Worst case is it will need extra damping and/or some series resistance. 'BIB' rules in horn design.

GM
Thanks GM.

'BIB' ??
Old 31st December 2017, 06:29 AM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

You're welcome! BIB = 'bigger is better', both good advice for horn design and happens to be the nickname for a popular, long running, easy to design/build pipe horn design thread: Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

GM
Old 31st December 2017, 04:57 PM   #9
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

More BIB info here
BIB | Speaker Projects by Zilla
Old 31st December 2017, 05:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Interesting Will check the links out.
Thanks GM.
Thanks Godzilla.

Use of different model of driver for a recommended back horn enclosure? sizes same.Hide this!Advertise here!