Fullrange break-in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As of today I have finished the second test enclosure (closed) for the Fane 12-250TC.
Compared to the other one which I ran for a few weeks (mono:D) it has less details and highs which is expected.

I don`t like to wait.
How can I break-in the new one FAST.

20Hz sine and hope it won`t get too hot?
Techno for continuous punches?
Classic?

The speaker is already in the enclosure if it matters.

driver brake-in

As of today I have finished the second test enclosure (closed) for the Fane 12-250TC....I don`t like to wait....

How can I break-in the new one FAST...

...Classics? The speaker is already in the enclosure if it matters.

Hi there g: Have patience, its worth it to get the best results from your new driver. I am breaking in another Seas ER18n-TRD 7" extended range driver and it is at 58 hours on classical music. The first 48 hours were at 48db 1meter. Have now increased level to 53db. I'm now using a cardboard box experimental TL and listening. At 135 hours on the first one I increased the level to 60 db untill 235 hours. The general feeling is that the spider (usually doped linen) will dvelope micro cracks, and the surround will flex out during the break-in process. Large displacements at normal listening levels may alter this micro cracking...hence low Hz sine waves are deemed to be detrimental. regards, Michael

relationship of break-in box size to driver vas?

It takes real world use to properly break them in. Be patient.

How big of an enclosure did you build? ...dave

Hi there: How does box size effect driver break-in? I used a 2.2cf TL to break-in a Seas er18-trw extended range driver, with a vas of 38L. Box is cardboard, so sealing is not perfect. ...regards, Michael

Holes to alter Q?
But will I loose spl?

Since now I used this on the walls, material thickness 5mm, air-permeable:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And this inside, realtively dense:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Behind the speaker I got something like this:
295094_R_K_B_by_knipseline_pixelio.de.jpg

22mm sanded OSB3.

Sounds very good.
Bass is precise and has a nice punch.

Some FR voice coils are made of paper for sheer musical results hence the low power rating, think about it when you are in a long session of hardcore metal ''music''.

Thanks for the advice. But...
this one (Fane Sovereign 12-250TC) has a glass fibre voice coil which is more robust.
Also the 250w rms rating helps with surviving( of the driver, not of the hearing ).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.