back loaded horn design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GM

Joined 2003
Well, at least now I know why all those dinky little 'FR' BLHs tend to perform so poorly overall.....

Riddle me this; how good a performer will a vented speaker perform when all you use is step one and step two? You think adding a number of extra expansions is going to make it all come out right?

That said, no doubt there's a narrow range of speaker specs where it will work well, but reverse engineering it to find them isn't worth the effort, you'll do a lot better using Hornresp's Loudspeaker Wizard.

GM

now let me come to the issue here!

Boston Acoustics - HQ48002P - 8" Hi-Q Fullrange Driver - 8 Ohms - Pair

i have pair of these full range drivers. they are based on the vintage philips hi-q models. they are promising. believe it or not they are being used in Rethm's Bhaava speakers although with additional custom phase plug ( http://rethm.com/ )

as i understand Bhaava model also uses horn loading the full ranger. plus bass augmented with isobarik sealed 3 woofers!
but in all of Rethm models i know that full ranger is run full range. no crossover.
i want to build something similar. given my lack of knowledge with horn loading, can some one help me to design using these drivers?

Thanks

GM

Joined 2003
OK, assuming the driver is driven with a low output impedance [<0.5 ohm] it has a theoretical ~75 Hz lower horn loading limit, so at 2.2 m + phase plug this is ~what the Rethm is apparently tuned to, though by calling it a 'Horn loaded labyrinth' where 'labyrinth' historically refers to TLs, I have to wonder if it's just a pipe horn like an inverted Terry Cain's 'BIB' corner horn except loaded with a phase plug.

Regardless, I'm thinking it's the way to go.

GM

added the driver params and some initial params to the horn resp. not understanding how to calculate S1, S2 and S3 values

i have selected parabolic horn. so what would be the flare axial length for horn segment 1 and 2?
have selected 3.4L (3400cc) throat chamber volume. this i calculated based on driver Sd i.e. 200cm2

am i heading in right direction?

hr1.JPG

Hi GM,

'soundnovice' has used the File > New menu accessed from the Input Parameters window to create a new data file named ps95, rather than just add the ps95 record to the default data file. The name of the new data file is included in the form caption - see attachment.

Depending upon the sequence of events used, it would seem that records are sometimes not being saved correctly to user-created data files.

I need to investigate further...

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    163.5 KB · Views: 815
Greets!

Hmm, isn't this something similar to what I mentioned awhile back? I had some files that when I opened them I got an 'invalid result, change data' error, so had to create new files, but couldn't delete the bad ones.

Also, the driver specs for 'your' ps95 is actually the hiq.txt he just uploaded and I've [so far] successfully imported, used to make new files.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.