Alpair 7.3 based FAST / WAW project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice build ChrisMmm, about in situation room gain numbers if you want to investigate further you could try this Jeff Bagby spreadsheet (Link: Loudspeaker Design Software) to find reverse curve numbers (Q and FRQ) to dial into Linkwitz transform filter as low end stop band, have done this myself for on wall speaker and it works pretty good because even if there's a bit of deviation from simulation to real world sound in that particular room it will show in form of boomy or thin bass sound, then simply fine tune it listen to some music or pink noise while you sweep output slope filter settings in Linkwitz transform filter up and down 1Hz at a time until bass integration sounds good and natural as into for example a set of headphones would sound.

Below is example of particular set of numbers into spreadsheet, its the red curve at bottom that is interesting and can be exported as frd file and then imported to REW where you on "All SPL" tab for example can manipulate SPL offset or do other math with "Controls" button to find right and planning final curves.

Attachments

• 3000.PNG
    3000.PNG
    178.1 KB · Views: 416
Great looking speakers!

I am contemplating a similar build, with the same Alpair. Likely different woofers, however, and in the same cabinet as the 7.3 to get the drivers as close together as possible.

Since you aren't trying to go low with the Alpair, why did you bother with a ported cabinet for it? Did you make those before you decided to make it a FAST project?

Regardless, I'm sure they sound great. Enjoy!

Great looking speakers!

I am contemplating a similar build, with the same Alpair. Likely different woofers, however, and in the same cabinet as the 7.3 to get the drivers as close together as possible.

Since you aren't trying to go low with the Alpair, why did you bother with a ported cabinet for it? Did you make those before you decided to make it a FAST project?

Regardless, I'm sure they sound great. Enjoy!

Thanks.
I don't imagine others would use the 10" drivers I did for a FAST project but they were a real bargain and sound very good as it turns out.
I built the onken style cabs for the 7.3 for flexibility, I will be experimenting with other drivers (currently building cabs for some FF85WK drivers) and the 7.3 may end up being used stand alone. I may be wrong but I believe upper bass performance bay be better in these cabs rather than sealed, also it keeps the lower end dropoff further away from the crossover.

V nearly bought a pair of AC250 subs at a bargain price from PE a few months back. A great looking large woofer with a nice inverted dome, quite rare.
The woofer i bought to match with the 7.3 was the scan 10" discovery 8 ohm. Great response in a sealed box.
But.. i ended up trying a small TL with the alpairs (big fail)and using the scans in a side firing 3 way with 15w revs and HDS tweet( work in progress)

Very nice,
I had setup an Alpair 7 and SDX10 FAST before and was very happy. The SDX10 was ported and, as planet10 noted, the SDX10 behaves well in the upper bass. I believe I had settled into a 220Hz 4th order crossover.

It has since been replaced with an Alpair 5/LDW7 fast (Xo'ed at 275 Hz) to allow a more compact build in our living room.

The new FAST sounds fantastic but the old Alpair7/SDX10 had more authoritive bass with extension down to the 25 Hz range (though the LDW 7 is quite a strong performer relative to it's size). Also, the Alpair 7 sounds slightly more resolving in details than the Alpair 5 even with the larger cone size. To be fair, this was in a different room though so that maybe colouring my judgment.

I feel like the new set has better off-axis performance though. The size/performance ratio of the smaller build is quite appealing and the size is perfect for our living room.

Attachments

• IMG_20161017_191150.jpg
    IMG_20161017_191150.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_20170427_213213.jpg
    IMG_20170427_213213.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave,
Any reason in particular to have both woofers fire left? (Rather than having it mirrored across the pair)

There is a pair of woofers mounted push-push in each enclosure. I have the camera ready to take pictures with the nice veneer job Chris did, i will make sure i get one that makes the 2 woofers clearer.

I have only done a visualization of the retangular variant (we built the parallelogram with a 5° tilt-back), but it will convey the idea.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• RTysenV2-Visulaization.gif
    RTysenV2-Visulaization.gif
    88.9 KB · Views: 437
There is a pair of woofers mounted push-push in each enclosure. I have the camera ready to take pictures with the nice veneer job Chris did, i will make sure i get one that makes the 2 woofers clearer.

I have only done a visualization of the retangular variant (we built the parallelogram with a 5° tilt-back), but it will convey the idea.

attachment.php

dave
Ah that makes alot more sense, thanks for clarifying.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That's a very elegant design Dave. Does it work well near a wall? You have done so many, do you have any favorites that might do double duty in a small room (12x15) for home theater and music?

It is fine against a wall. I have lots of favourites :)

So much depends on your taste, room, ancillary kit, musical tastes, size & shape limitations.

These make few excuses wrt bass extension and FR magic. If you only want to use one amp, these have a well sorted (if expensive) passive XO. The same recipe can be adapted to a wide range of drivers, way easier to put together if you can biamp.

These have been in my main systemn for far longer than most speakers, but i am getting itchy to swap them up. I have a set of Mar-Ken10pTT protos downstairs that i’ll get Chris to swap in (my inability to yet carry speakers up & down the stairs likely had a factor in the longevity in the main system. One of the goals of these was inexpensive… stock drivers cost <$200. Treated drivers — leke we use — adds about $300.

A FR system would also satisfy the single amp situation. If you are planning on subs with the HT (and an HT receiver) they need not be overly bass capable.

As a single data point, my physiotherapist chose to get Bernie to build him a set of FHXL with A10PeN after auditioning them against Tysen V2. At near a half-metre deep FHXL are not as compact.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.