cute patent idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With the Apple HomePod speaker, I think we will be see lots of diy upward firing projects.

Attachments

• F76AC0E9-055C-4F73-AECC-CD76ECAAC6B5.jpeg
    F76AC0E9-055C-4F73-AECC-CD76ECAAC6B5.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 158
+1 on what Bjorno posted, with some caveats.

At low frequencies, the "Reflector" will likely be similar to slot loading. Placed close enough to the cone, it will simply direct the acoustic energy into some restricted sector, horizontally. This will diffract at the opening. It's just like any other system where you go from a restricted space to a more open one.

The problem comes at high(er) frequencies. High here means that the wavelength is starting to approach 4 times the dimensions of the open space between driver and reflector. I fear that a mess of interference will result from the reflector. Not good! If your solution is to add a direct radiating tweeter, then I ask you what exactly is the purpose of the reflector in the first place? If for improved directional behavior (like the patent suggests) then there are better and more conventional ways to do that.

Anyway, this is in general a stupid idea: putting some kind of object in the path of the sound. It is just going to cause problems in one way or another. It's not going to work like a proper horn or waveguide, either. Don't think that because there is some commercial product (e.g. Apple Homepod) that stuffs a lot of drivers and DSP into a small package that this is the path to great sound. It's just meant to be "convenient" and small. Even that uses direct radiating tweeters and only the woofer fires up into a deflector. I would not take this as a cue to start making upfiring driver DIY projects! It's like your cellphone speaker. The transducer costs $0.50 and tons and tons of DSP are used to put it to the limits so that it sounds reasonable to the average user. But it is not "musical" or "hifi", etc. and I assume that is the goal here... if not, then save yourself the trouble and go to your nearest Apple store! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.