Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Horn Drivers
Horn Drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2017, 12:20 PM   #41
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
Example of an eight-sided tractrix horn. The side panel dimensions are given in the attached exported Tractrix.txt horn data file.

See the 'Export Horn Data' section in the Hornresp Help file for further details.
I didn't keep up with the latest features in HR, looks like this is exactly what I used Tractrix12.exe for, thanks for posting this!
Old 7th December 2017, 07:49 PM   #42
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG81 View Post
I scoured the web for about 20min looking for it, but looks like you out-Googled me. Thanks, it's a neat little program that I may yet use again.
You're welcome! Popped up first thing and immediately auto downloaded, so first thought was it's malware and hoped AVAST had dealt with it. For whatever reason, I've typically been able to find stuff either quickly and/or what others couldn't. Long time ago, me, Cal [moderator] and some others did an impromptu test where we all searched a number of same things and while I typically zero'd right to it, the others got totally different [often irrelevant] first page results.

Apparently, our personal search patterns dominates over what we're looking for, so guess I've done way more audio related searches than you since it's been a regular thing for me since Christmas '96.

GM
Old 7th December 2017, 07:57 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
See the 'Export Horn Data' section in the Hornresp Help file for further details.
Thanks! I'm now years behind in keeping up with your enhancements! So much for all those 'Never going to happen' requests.

GM
Old 7th December 2017, 09:57 PM   #44
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Horn Drivers
Wow. Some fantastic links and I've got some guidance and some work to do.
Old 7th December 2017, 10:21 PM   #45
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Horn Drivers
All this figuring out how to use these calculators making my head spin.
Old 8th December 2017, 06:39 AM   #46
David McBean is offline David McBean  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG81 View Post
I didn't keep up with the latest features in HR, looks like this is exactly what I used Tractrix12.exe for, thanks for posting this!
Just be aware that Tractrix12.exe contains an error.

The 'x proj' value gives the length along the curved wall of a circular cross-section horn. It should give the length along the curved petal side wall.
Old 8th December 2017, 06:48 AM   #47
David McBean is offline David McBean  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Thanks! I'm now years behind in keeping up with your enhancements! So much for all those 'Never going to happen' requests.
Hi GM,

Years indeed! The multiple petal option was added in April 2011 :-).

Hornresp

Kind regards,

David
Old 8th December 2017, 12:38 PM   #48
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just be aware that Tractrix12.exe contains an error.

The 'x proj' value gives the length along the curved wall of a circular cross-section horn. It should give the length along the curved petal side wall.
I caught that in the above linked thread. I'm guessing the error is worse the lower the number of petals.
Old 8th December 2017, 05:48 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi GM,

Years indeed! The multiple petal option was added in April 2011 :-).

Hornresp

Kind regards,

David
Greets!

Interesting! If I ever noticed, it's long forgotten and probably any other HR enhancement I'll likely never use, especially any that makes for intense woodworking.

GM
Old 8th December 2017, 06:35 PM   #50
Hearinspace is offline Hearinspace  Canada
diyAudio Member

Horn Drivers
Maybe this isn't the perfect place for this question, but it isn't big enough to deserve a dedicated thread and it does relate to OP mkane77g's interest in the conical and joshcpct's pointing out its poor low frequency loading weakness.
Looking at the popular and commercially successful Synergy horn, is it a mistake to see it as a conical with added LF drivers to overcome that weakness?

Horn DriversHide this!Advertise here!