Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Horn Drivers
Horn Drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2017, 04:15 AM   #21
Hearinspace is online now Hearinspace  Canada
diyAudio Member

Horn Drivers
You had me wondering there whether things had changed recently but according to this page under the heading "Why Horns" it looks like they are still straight.
Old 6th December 2017, 04:34 PM   #22
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Horn Drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Why is this in Full-Range?
Because I may run this without a woofer.
Old 6th December 2017, 04:42 PM   #23
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Horn Drivers
with wood mabey? Cheapest solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Conical horn.jpg (198.0 KB, 126 views)
Old 6th December 2017, 05:20 PM   #24
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweproductions View Post
Oswald Mill is not conical even though it looks that way. Each leaf is curved inside to form a flare.
According to their site their Imperia and AC1 modesl use conical horns:

Quote:
The 100hz and 300hz wooden conical horns are made from a choice of solid Pennsylvania walnut, cherry, ash, or chestnut.
Quote:
The midrange utilizes a very special vintage compression driver made by RCA for actual movie theaters, mounted to our conical 300hz horn, crafted from the same hardwoods...
Old 6th December 2017, 07:48 PM   #25
Hearinspace is online now Hearinspace  Canada
diyAudio Member

Horn Drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane77g View Post
with wood mabey? Cheapest solution.
I get that part. My interest is in getting the clearance to firmly mount/bolt in the driver, and also , a more complicated thought , I don't currently have a wood shop I can just walk into and run off a new rev., so I always consider building things so there's flexibility to try other stuff, in this case , drivers.Going through the work of building the horn and being locked into the first driver I choose to do it with seems an unnecessary limitation.
The trouble is I haven't figured out a solution I'm completely happy with . . . .yet. Looking at your pic though , maybe that box structure could have spring clips or bands that come over the rear of the driver to lock it in. Centering the driver would then be the only issue, not too difficult to deal with.
Old 6th December 2017, 08:35 PM   #26
Joshcpct is offline Joshcpct  Germany
diyAudio Member

The OMAs are pretty conical. Im not saying conical sucks so much that you should go to OB instead (the least efficient of everything) but im just saying exponential is the best

Let me simplify it by my hand drawing. Lets assume a very linear ultimate bandwidth driver will be loaded into a non-suitable short horn. There you can see the differences pretty well:

Click the image to open in full size.

The expo will give you an 12dB boost from certain horn-length dependent frequency on, with a soft decline. Stronger than 12 is possible by using compression (throat significant smaller than diaphragm). While the compression ratio (usually 1:4) defines the boost, the diaphragm size defines the frequency-height where that happens.
Together with those 2 elements of horn and compression/dia and the certain rolloff that the driver comes with (lower energy at lower frequencies) you can design a pretty flat linear overall performance.

Following the same rules, the conical works a little different. It starts loading a little bit higher, slightly more than 12dB, but declines also faster. Worst of all are the notches in high frequencies due to phase interferences along the throat. All that leaves you with a very efficient, but tiny bandwidth, usually like a steep mountain. As you go off axis, the notches usually increase on conicals.

OMAs claim of CSD because the horn is straight is an absolute marketing BS which belongs to the snake-oil box, sorry. Just the opposite is the case.
Truth is likely, OMA has chosen a visually impressive design to create a nobel piece of interior decoration. Which definately is a great success, a stand alone feature, and fits the current move to industrial-loft fashion and vintage. But, its not a good performing thing.

Conical may work on an 8" fullrange driver (with no compression 1:1) that naturally beams in high frequencies and as such bypasses the horn straight through, using the horn as a low-mid lift to match its highs. This ive seen working pretty well.
Old 6th December 2017, 08:43 PM   #27
Joshcpct is offline Joshcpct  Germany
diyAudio Member

regarding beaming of different shapes, heres a pretty nice example

Horn contours
Old 6th December 2017, 09:57 PM   #28
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Horn Drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearinspace View Post
I get that part. My interest is in getting the clearance to firmly mount/bolt in the driver, and also , a more complicated thought , I don't currently have a wood shop I can just walk into and run off a new rev., so I always consider building things so there's flexibility to try other stuff, in this case , drivers.Going through the work of building the horn and being locked into the first driver I choose to do it with seems an unnecessary limitation.
The trouble is I haven't figured out a solution I'm completely happy with . . . .yet. Looking at your pic though , maybe that box structure could have spring clips or bands that come over the rear of the driver to lock it in. Centering the driver would then be the only issue, not too difficult to deal with.
Looking at B&C/Radian compression drivers the mounting flanges c-c are the same.
Old 6th December 2017, 09:58 PM   #29
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Horn Drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshcpct View Post
...but im just saying exponential is the best
Ther eis no best, only best for the application.

dave
Old 6th December 2017, 10:00 PM   #30
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Horn Drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane77g View Post
Because I may run this without a woofer.
Given a horn is only good for 3-4 octaves, and what you seem to be looking to build will have a very limited LF response, you will likely end up with something that sounds like an AM radio if you donít have help below (and maybe above).

dave

Horn DriversHide this!Advertise here!