Audio Nirvana Classic 8 Ferrite vs. Mark Audio Alpair 12P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably both have strengths and weaknesses. I have some experience with Mark Audio Alpair 7.3, 10.2 and 10.3. Not favorable with the metal cone A10s.

My use would be as a driver for a FAST system. My preferences are for a precise image, large soundstage, sharp dynamics and smooth response. 95% classical music with a little classic rock and jazz. Nothing loud, but I want the dynamic range available to do so.

I can't speak re the Audio Nirvana, but as to the Alpair12 -if not the PW (woofer) version, in a manageably small box they won't deliver much bottom end, but with help below, say 200-300?, I think you'd be fine. What bass drivers would you be thinking of using?

And I think scottj would chastise me for not reminding you to abandon the FAST acronym and get with the times, mate - WAW is what it is - until it's something else. ;)

I have the AN15" and it's superb. But looking at the AN8" ferrite - I don't like the ragged treble response in the FR plot. I believe that at the 8" size you'd have to spend big $$ for the Alnico classic 8+ to get really good results. But if you can justify a larger driver then I'd suggest considering their 12" super ferrite - still not smooth FR plot but closer to what I have with the AN15"super ferrite (no longer available). At that point, you may not need a supporting woofer.

I've heard the AN Classic 8" Ferrite just sitting out unenclosed with 20uf in series. Fairly impressive. But I've been considering an Alpair 10P of Alpair 12P for some time. Was curious how the drivers compared to each other. Whatever I choose would end up replacing a combination of a Satori 6 1/2" woofer with a Seas H1189 tweeter currently being used for reproduction above ~600Hz or so (1st order crosovers). Big woofer system below.

I think Dave might mean the A12P (i.e, original full-range version) goes higher than the A12Pw - but not lower than the PW or either of the A10s - at least in a "manageable" sized box? That's certainly been my own take on the several models in question, each of which I've heard in a couple of different designs.

I've heard the AN Classic 8" Ferrite just sitting out unenclosed with 20uf in series. Fairly impressive. But I've been considering an Alpair 10P of Alpair 12P for some time. Was curious how the drivers compared to each other. Whatever I choose would end up replacing a combination of a Satori 6 1/2" woofer with a Seas H1189 tweeter currently being used for reproduction above ~600Hz or so (1st order crosovers). Big woofer system below.
I have A10p in marken enclosure, and my friend has AN 8" ferrite in bass reflex. for bass quality, indeed A10p is much better eventhough in smaller enclosure, FHXL should give more low bass, but it suffers from high treble, i have to add 3/4" car tweeter for more sparkle 10khz above. AN 8 give more detail and airy for vocal and instruments but it has more midrange which refer to 'shout'. Overall I'm much happier with AN 8"

I can’t speaker for the Audio Nirvana (althou i have a 10” Classic heaed my way for treatment), but the A10p goes lower, higher, and has greater DDR than the A12p. Except for going higher, the same can be said for the A12pw.

The A10p is cheaper too.

dave

Dave,

Very interested in your "before" and "after" listening impressions of the 10" AN driver.

Well, it took a couple hundred hours of breakin for the AN 8" Classic Ferrite drivers to really come around. They smoothed out nicely with only a little high frequency raggedness (still decreasing). Dynamics are quite good. Detail betters the Mark Audio drivers I have had before (Alpair 7.3, 10.2M, 10.3M in their respective Pensil enclosures). No annoying cone breakup. No issues with dynamic range in my setup (semi-nearfield). I would not characterize these drivers as sweet or warm. I would describe them as brutally revealing and accurate.

They are VERY efficient. VERY EFFICIENT.

As I was using them, it was not possible for them to produce any bass. I cannot comment on that aspect of their performance.

I am working of open back enclosures and will use the AN8's as extended midrange drivers above a great woofer system.

Bill

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Keep in mind that the Hemptone drivers, if they use the preferred paper formula they have published (and tried to patent), have no real hemp in them, only manilla hemp (which is only called hemp because the US goivernent wanted to indicate which fibres could be substituted after they made cannabis hemp illegal. This guess has never been confirmed, but i am guessing that an angry phone call from the Tone Tubby guys was because they didn’t want this to get out.

MISCO does make some cones with real hemp.

dave

The A12P is very very nice and if you have space for a SuperPensil box for it, it is all you need.
If you put it in a small box then I advise active filtering, maybe using minidsp (no experience with it myself, but everyone loves it) and biamping to a separate woofer. Getting both speakers to work well together may require a few days of experimenting.

So I made a few fullrange speakers over the years and liked them quite a bit, yet -oh heresy- meanwhile I discovered Harbeth traditional 2 and 3 way speakers (monitors of the BBC style), and the voices were so absolutely natural through them that I don’t care anymore if it is multiway - my next speakers will be ready made Harbeths, as soon as my little kids are old enough not to poke a finger through the cones!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.