Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Audio Nirvana Classic 8 Ferrite vs. Mark Audio Alpair 12P
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2017, 02:46 AM   #21
Sk8Ter is offline Sk8Ter  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
The A12P is very very nice and if you have space for a SuperPensil box for it, it is all you need.
If you put it in a small box then I advise active filtering, maybe using minidsp (no experience with it myself, but everyone loves it) and biamping to a separate woofer. Getting both speakers to work well together may require a few days of experimenting.

So I made a few fullrange speakers over the years and liked them quite a bit, yet -oh heresy- meanwhile I discovered Harbeth traditional 2 and 3 way speakers (monitors of the BBC style), and the voices were so absolutely natural through them that I don’t care anymore if it is multiway - my next speakers will be ready made Harbeths, as soon as my little kids are old enough not to poke a finger through the cones!
Nothing wrong with multiway speakers they can and usually outplay any single or coax drivers in every way possible.
Old 18th December 2017, 06:08 AM   #22
talaerts is offline talaerts  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
A12p doesn’t really like a small box.

dave

If you use biamping with an active filter as mentioned, would it matter if the box is small? Imagine the A12P used from say 200hz.
Old 18th December 2017, 03:04 PM   #23
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Ter View Post
Nothing wrong with multiway speakers they can and usually outplay any single or coax drivers in every way possible.
Harbeth however is special in that they are hard to clone, you can't get their drivers and their cross-overs are not simple. That means buying them with cash and they are pricey.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 18th December 2017, 04:07 PM   #24
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
If you use biamping with an active filter as mentioned, would it matter if the box is small? Imagine the A12P used from say 200hz.
Problems we had with smaller boxes were “congestion”, a lack in the midrange that went away with bigger boxes. No experience using it as a midTweeter.

Unless you want to really play loud i’d be looking at one of the smaller Mark Audio for their better dispersion & finesse.

dave
Old 18th December 2017, 08:39 PM   #25
FullRangeMan is offline FullRangeMan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
Dave,

Very interested in your "before" and "after" listening impressions of the 10" AN driver.
+1. Any photo from the Classic10 after the ENBL would be very interesting.
Old 18th December 2017, 08:41 PM   #26
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

AN C10 drivers currently on the break-in bench.

dave
Old 19th December 2017, 12:32 AM   #27
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

My AN15" is for single box mono only so I need the whizzer for good dispersion (and it's superb) but for stereo perhaps the Classic (no whizzer) is a better option with it's narrower dispersion. Anybody thought about that before choosing their AN driver ? I wrote to David, he suggested that given how much I like the AN15 Super I should stick with the whizzered versions.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 19th December 2017, 05:36 PM   #28
FullRangeMan is offline FullRangeMan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:

dave
Wow cant wait to read the results
Please let me know the news on it.

Last edited by FullRangeMan; 19th December 2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 19th December 2017, 10:48 PM   #29
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
My AN15" is for single box mono only so I need the whizzer for good dispersion (and it's superb) but for stereo perhaps the Classic (no whizzer) is a better option with it's narrower dispersion.
From just looking at its published response, I'd say no and just over-toe them to 'taste' unless super tweeters are added. The classic ideally needs some form of CD horn EQ [parallel notch filter]: mh-audio.nl - Home

GM
Old 20th December 2017, 06:10 PM   #30
silverhairbp is offline silverhairbp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

dave
The 8" Ferrite took about 200 hours to come around. Same magnetic structure, cone, spider and surround material as the 10" Ferrite.

Just saying....

Last edited by silverhairbp; 20th December 2017 at 06:12 PM.

Audio Nirvana Classic 8 Ferrite vs. Mark Audio Alpair 12PHide this!Advertise here!