Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Audio Nirvana Classic 8 Ferrite vs. Mark Audio Alpair 12P
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2017, 08:34 PM   #11
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A12p does not go lower than the A12pw, A10.2, EL70, A10.3 or A10p (in order) it just moves more air than any but the wide range A12pw.Since the P7 fits many EL70 enclosures it probably gets in there too.

dave
Old 24th November 2017, 10:05 PM   #12
gadut is offline gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
I've heard the AN Classic 8" Ferrite just sitting out unenclosed with 20uf in series. Fairly impressive. But I've been considering an Alpair 10P of Alpair 12P for some time. Was curious how the drivers compared to each other. Whatever I choose would end up replacing a combination of a Satori 6 1/2" woofer with a Seas H1189 tweeter currently being used for reproduction above ~600Hz or so (1st order crosovers). Big woofer system below.
I have A10p in marken enclosure, and my friend has AN 8" ferrite in bass reflex. for bass quality, indeed A10p is much better eventhough in smaller enclosure, FHXL should give more low bass, but it suffers from high treble, i have to add 3/4" car tweeter for more sparkle 10khz above. AN 8 give more detail and airy for vocal and instruments but it has more midrange which refer to 'shout'. Overall I'm much happier with AN 8"
Old 3rd December 2017, 02:21 AM   #13
silverhairbp is offline silverhairbp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I canít speaker for the Audio Nirvana (althou i have a 10Ē Classic heaed my way for treatment), but the A10p goes lower, higher, and has greater DDR than the A12p. Except for going higher, the same can be said for the A12pw.

The A10p is cheaper too.

dave
Dave,

Very interested in your "before" and "after" listening impressions of the 10" AN driver.
Old 17th December 2017, 09:32 PM   #14
silverhairbp is offline silverhairbp  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, it took a couple hundred hours of breakin for the AN 8" Classic Ferrite drivers to really come around. They smoothed out nicely with only a little high frequency raggedness (still decreasing). Dynamics are quite good. Detail betters the Mark Audio drivers I have had before (Alpair 7.3, 10.2M, 10.3M in their respective Pensil enclosures). No annoying cone breakup. No issues with dynamic range in my setup (semi-nearfield). I would not characterize these drivers as sweet or warm. I would describe them as brutally revealing and accurate.

They are VERY efficient. VERY EFFICIENT.

As I was using them, it was not possible for them to produce any bass. I cannot comment on that aspect of their performance.

I am working of open back enclosures and will use the AN8's as extended midrange drivers above a great woofer system.

Bill

Last edited by silverhairbp; 17th December 2017 at 09:36 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar correction
Old 18th December 2017, 12:23 AM   #15
FullRangeMan is offline FullRangeMan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Here are a twin pair of FR & Woofer seems nice to 1.5 way or even in parallel no-xover to 4 ohms:
Hemptone Store
Old 18th December 2017, 12:31 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Keep in mind that the Hemptone drivers, if they use the preferred paper formula they have published (and tried to patent), have no real hemp in them, only manilla hemp (which is only called hemp because the US goivernent wanted to indicate which fibres could be substituted after they made cannabis hemp illegal. This guess has never been confirmed, but i am guessing that an angry phone call from the Tone Tubby guys was because they didn’t want this to get out.

MISCO does make some cones with real hemp.

dave
Old 18th December 2017, 12:43 AM   #17
FullRangeMan is offline FullRangeMan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Wow incredible, thanks for inform Dave.
Old 18th December 2017, 01:06 AM   #18
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

that explains why them Hemptone drivers never seem to produce good highs
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 18th December 2017, 02:31 AM   #19
talaerts is offline talaerts  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Nirvana Classic 8 Ferrite vs. Mark Audio Alpair 12P

The A12P is very very nice and if you have space for a SuperPensil box for it, it is all you need.
If you put it in a small box then I advise active filtering, maybe using minidsp (no experience with it myself, but everyone loves it) and biamping to a separate woofer. Getting both speakers to work well together may require a few days of experimenting.

So I made a few fullrange speakers over the years and liked them quite a bit, yet -oh heresy- meanwhile I discovered Harbeth traditional 2 and 3 way speakers (monitors of the BBC style), and the voices were so absolutely natural through them that I donít care anymore if it is multiway - my next speakers will be ready made Harbeths, as soon as my little kids are old enough not to poke a finger through the cones!
Old 18th December 2017, 02:36 AM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A12p doesn’t really like a small box.

dave

Audio Nirvana Classic 8 Ferrite vs. Mark Audio Alpair 12PHide this!Advertise here!