CHR 70 for front/surround, DENON AV reciever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I couldn’t find a Pensil for the Pluvia 7. There is a Compact Fllorstander for it thou. Thet is one of the EL70 plans i have adapted for the P7. No changes except for those for fitting the drivers IIRC. Buying the Pluvia 7 planset also gets you the EL70 planset and i will redraw any EL70 plan for use for the P7. planet10-hifi miniOnken Plan-Set Subscriptions

dave

David, can you please PM me a list of markaudio and fostex box designs available at paid subscription? Thanks

So, I almost finished building the system. There were some changes from the initial plan. Here is the final design:

- Marantz 7011 receiver (planned to use Denon 4400, but I was lucky to grab 1 month old Marantz for a fraction of the retail price)

- 6п14п PP amp for music.(I wanted to use a 300B SE amplifier, but it lacked power for the space. The 300B goes to the study)

- Custom switchbox to commutate 2 amps with one pair of speakers

- Front speakers - Super Pensils with Markaudio 12p

- Center speaker - Markaudio Alpair 10p in Dave's custom design box

- Surround speakers - Markaudio Pluvia 7 in Pensils

- Ceiling speakers - Markaudio Pluvia 7 in Dave's custom design boxes. Not yet finished :)

The furniture was made with spacious tunnels for wiring. They are hidden, yet easy to access.
wiring.jpg

All the speaker plans were redrawn by my friend for CNC routing, then cut from birch ply of corresponding thickness. Front cabinets were made in interlocking design (a habbit from building balsa RC planes ;))
12p.png

Then I glued them together with a Titebond D3 wood glue. Hollowfiber and natural felt were used for damping.
12p2.jpg

The front speakers lay on the concrete floor. The remaining space between the side walls of the niche and the speakers was filled with bags, buffed with hollowfiber in order to eliminate reflections. Speakers are without finish as they are hidden in dedicated niches, covered by a fabric.
12p3.jpg

Removable frames with acoustic fabric inserts are fixed by special locks for easy access.
12p4.jpg

Surround speakers were veneered by a furniture producing company. Pluvia 7 / black walnut combination looks great in modern interior, so I decided to go without grills. The speaker is mounted flush with the front panel. The port walls yet to be painted black or dark brown.
pluvia.jpg

Center channel was veneered in dark oak to match the furniture. Alpair 10p has a greenish paper cone. It is in no way ugly, but I will probably make a grill to hide it
center.jpg

Mararantz 7011, 6п14п PP amp and a custom switchbox. We got so addicted to video streaming services that there is still no blu-ray….and I am not sure I will ever buy one. But a good DAC and a media player for FLAC will surely come. The AVR has 9 amplified channels, so 7 go to the theater… and other two are connected to outdoor speakers on a terrace. First I thought of a dedicated amp for outdoors, but this two extra channels with HEOS multiroom feature turned out to be a great coincidence.
avr.jpg

Finally…
Wires, hanging from the ceiling - yes, they are for upper speakers :). These were meant to be mounted flash with the ceiling and Dave did a big job making a super slim 100 mm design but I consider mounting them on surface. It turns out that cutouts in gypsum cardboard will weaken the structure.
result.jpg

The positioning of speakers is not ideal for a theater- the distance between front speakers is excessive (the room is 11 meters long so it is good for listening music from any location)and surround speakers are positioned not symmetrically - this is not a dedicated theater area but a living room, so, no way without compromises.

I used Audyssey to tune the system and the result is gorgeous to my ears, even in yet 5 channel config. The Super Pensils are bassy enough, so I will surely do without a subwoofer. The movie experience is fantastic. The sound is very warm and dynamic at the same time. The main shortcoming from not ideal speaker positioning is that the audio image deteriorates when in off center position. But still there is a space for 3 passengers getting good result.

Alpair 12P in Superpensils work great both with solidstate Marantz reciever and the tube amp. But they (12p) really need hundreds of hours of breaking in to show their character. Of course, when it comes to music, the 12w 6p14p tube totally demolishes a 200w (aha) receiver by deepness and detail.

I want to thank Dave for his plans and all the forumers who helped with advice!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Awesome. Good to see :^)

Alpair 10p has a greenish paper cone. It is in no way ugly, but I will probably make a grill to hide it

email me if you’d like to know how to turn the colour to anthracite (a fancy word for near black).

These are A12pw that started out the same blue as the A10p.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• A12pw-blk-wGrey.jpg
    A12pw-blk-wGrey.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 116
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.