Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12" Backloaded Horn
12" Backloaded Horn
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2017, 06:55 AM   #1
jonazmalcom is offline jonazmalcom  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Default 12" Backloaded Horn

Hi everyone I'm kinda new on this forum so I hope I'm doing things right here.

I'm designing a BLH using hornresp for the first time so things are not very clear for me yet. I'm usin a 12" Pioneer Subwoofer (TS-W305C) I know is not a HiFi sub but I have used a very similar model from pioneer (the 10" version) on a 3 way system that I've built 5 years ago with great results, It has great power clarity and amazing frequency response (I crossed it @ 1000Hz).

Anyway I started from a proven design from Paul C for a Eminence 12" driver and since I know that every BLH has to be design for each driver I knew that I was going to have to modify lots of things to make it right, so I took the liberty to modify the cabinet height to 1100mm (the original design is 81.6mm) to fit my listening area and taking this into consideration I started to try to tune it the best I could in horn resp.

All the driver values are correct and I tried to adjust all the horns sections to flatten the frequency response graph the best I could. This is going to be the low end (sub and woofer) for a 3 way active system (3 separate amps controlled by a dbx driverack) and I plan to cross it @ 1000Hz.

The question is.........How does it look ? I'm on the right track or is it better to start from scratch ?

Thanks in advance and hope someone can help me out.

Jonathan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Horn Design.jpg (173.3 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Parameters.jpg (85.5 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Schematic.jpg (38.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Power.jpg (62.4 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Delay.jpg (67.5 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Impedance.jpg (65.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 100hz.jpg (59.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Phase.jpg (83.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 1000hz.jpg (67.8 KB, 26 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt firstBLH.txt (962 Bytes, 10 views)
Old 10th November 2017, 08:52 AM   #2
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

12" Backloaded Horn
dunno - I'm not good with hornresp and blh - -here's a hornresp flh using some measured specs I found vs your blh input

https://i.imgur.com/maSA04l.jpg
Old 10th November 2017, 03:18 PM   #3
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

12" Backloaded Horn
also - I think your driver may be suited for MMJ's 6th order "Super Planar" - - check that thread in the Subwoofer section of Diyaudio.

Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds
Old 10th November 2017, 10:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Freddy thanks for the quick reply and even though we both are not experts on horn resp I can tell thanks to the images you send me I have a big problem with the frequency curve all the way to 1000Hz and a very big difference in electrical Impedance, so may be I'm doing something wrong with the modeling in hornresp.

About the "super planar" design It looks great but I see 2 problems with than design, first I wan to use only one driver per cabinet and the other I specifically need it to be 1100mm of height
Old 10th November 2017, 10:36 PM   #5
methodarn is offline methodarn  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Location: Moscow, Russia. Hope someday I find warmer place :)
Jonathan, to first, you have incorrect chamber dimension, try to improve Atc. And horn at picture have 3 parts, but in your hornresp schematics it have 4 parts.
I will try to help you.
Regards, dk
Old 10th November 2017, 10:47 PM   #6
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

it could be that your trying to make the horn extend all the way to 1000 hz.
when your looking at the HornResp sim it's only the horn section, which should be tuned/optimized for low frequency performance, and don't forget in a backloaded horn the driver is also acting like a direct radiator at higher frequency.
i do believe there is a way to sum the two to analyze them but i'm no Hornresp expert.
Old 10th November 2017, 10:52 PM   #7
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

that design is similar to a JBL 4530 bass bin
Old 10th November 2017, 11:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Methodarn tanks for your comment, you're absolutely right I got mixed up with the calculations and used 4 parts instead of just 3 like the design, about the chamber dimension how can you tell that is not correct ? as soon as I get home from work I'll try to optimize ATC.
Old 10th November 2017, 11:15 PM   #9
methodarn is offline methodarn  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Location: Moscow, Russia. Hope someday I find warmer place :)
So I did it from scratch, you just need correct sizes a bit Click the image to open in full size.

Hope it helps
Regards, dk
Attached Files
File Type: txt yr12inchhorn.txt (957 Bytes, 9 views)
Old 10th November 2017, 11:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Turk, that's where I think I'm a bit confused, I want the horn to cut at a point between 300 to 500Hz I'm going to pair it to with a 5" midbass so may be I can cross it around 400Hz, and if I adjust ATC may be that will solve the problem; the thing that I know for sure s that hornresp is a very powerful design tool but also a very complex one.

Thanks for all your input.

12" Backloaded HornHide this!Advertise here!