Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FE103sol BIB
FE103sol BIB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2017, 08:29 PM   #1
jdrouin is offline jdrouin  United States
diyAudio Member

Default FE103sol BIB

What wood thickness would we recommend for a BIB with the Fostex FE103sol?

I entered the relevant information from the FE103sol manufacturer spec list into the spreadsheet from Zilla's website.

The attached screenshot shows the cabinet dimensions using 0.703" thick plywood (the 3/4" nominal maple ply available at Lowe's), but I'd rather go with a high quality Baltic birch. What thickness would you recommend, and how would that be calculated?

Thanks!

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: png FE103sol-BIB-v1.png (69.2 KB, 229 views)
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:21 PM   #2
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FE103sol BIB
If those dimensions are inches then you should be fine with 15mm BB. You’ll want to invert the BIB so the mouth loads into the floor/wall interface. But that puts the driver at a height of 17” + whatever height you choose to lift it off the floor. That is a problem. Building an unfolded one doesn’t help either. IIRC there is an alternate Zd, that might help.

dave
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

What's the advantage to floor/wall loading?

This will be in my home office, which is 7.5'W x 15'L x 8'H. I was attracted to the original BIB design because of the corner loading that uses the walls and ceiling to extend the horn mouth. Since the speakers would be placed in the corners of the narrow wall, I thought this would make a nice stereo image.
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:02 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FE103sol BIB
A BIB assumes that you will have the mouth close enuff to the ceiling/wall/wall interface to act as the final part of the mouth. With a BIB this short you will only have that if you mount the box half-way (approx) up the wall. So the usual fix for a short line is to flip it over. Whichever you do you still end up with the driver at a noramlly unusable height relative to your ears.

dave
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Huh. Glad I asked. Thanks.

Back to my first question, is there a method for determining what thickness of plywood one would want for a given application?
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:09 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FE103sol BIB
One looks at the dimensions for the unbraced distances and from experience chooses a material thickness. Keep in mind different materials have different characteristics. Good 15mm is better than good 3/4” MDF for instance. Also a whole lot lighter, an important consideration for your back with a box this large (still small by BIB standards).

dave
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I guess there's no equation for experience. ;-)

Are there any other enclosure designs you'd recommend for this application -- the narrow wall of a long narrow room? I've got a pair of FE103sol and a pair of FF105WK.
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:54 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FE103sol BIB
The Woden Vampr-V works with either of those as do our miniOnken. Scott’s design is tall & slim so is nearer in aspect to the BIB. Mounted in a corner you might need to attenuate the bass a bit.

Our build is on the fancy side, it can be just a tall, low cross-section rectangle.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:15 AM   #9
giantstairs is offline giantstairs  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrouin View Post
What wood thickness would we recommend for a BIB with the Fostex FE103sol?

I entered the relevant information from the FE103sol manufacturer spec list into the spreadsheet from Zilla's website.

The attached screenshot shows the cabinet dimensions using 0.703" thick plywood (the 3/4" nominal maple ply available at Lowe's), but I'd rather go with a high quality Baltic birch. What thickness would you recommend, and how would that be calculated?

Thanks!

Jeff
Go with the unfolded pipe, lower the Fs to 74 or so to get closer to the ceiling, zdriver at L*0.416 (driver height about 37"). Should work really well with your lowish ceilings.
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:47 AM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Even absent the aesthetic flourishes of angled ends and supra-baffles, the Vampyr is a bit more fiddly a build than a BIB, but it definitely works very well.

The only BIB I've heard was DaveCan's FE108 version at one of Dave's events about a dozen(?) years ago, and as best I recall, it suffered from the lack of suitable corner boundary loading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vampyrV 001.jpg (570.8 KB, 184 views)

FE103sol BIBHide this!Advertise here!