Help needed notch filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone that can help me finding values for a series notch filter for the EMS Fertin LB5 driver. I am going to use them in a small bassreflex/trans monitor. Frontbaffel only 17 cm wide. I have tried some calculators on the net but I get so high values. I would like to have a filter to start off with before listening and measuring. Here is a link to the drivers datasheet: http://www.emspeaker.com/fiche_LB5.pdf
Appreciate all help.

I’m assuming you are looking for a signal-level filter? Although I’m not sure of your ultimate goal with this filter I’m guessing it is to flatten the frequency response. If so, a notch filter is going to give you too narrow a frequency range. I’ve had success with the constant Q EQ design that Rod Elliot (Elliot Sound Products) describes on his site. Let me know if you can’t find it and I’ll send the link...

Anyone that can help me finding values for a series notch filter for the EMS Fertin LB5 driver. I am going to use them in a small bassreflex/trans monitor. Frontbaffel only 17 cm wide. I have tried some calculators on the net but I get so high values. I would like to have a filter to start off with before listening and measuring. Here is a link to the drivers datasheet: http://www.emspeaker.com/fiche_LB5.pdf
Appreciate all help.
Full Range driver fans use only the speaker cable between amp and the speaker, notch filter or any inductor/capacitore will remove all the harmonics from the music, that is what do all the spatial/ambience musical information. After a notch filter your FR will start do the usual cold 2D hi-fi sound, no more doing music.

The link you post show a very bening freq curve, looks you dont do any inside enclosure treatment to up the bass.
Try these:
How Treat Passively Peaky Fullrange Drivers
Hope this help.
image.php

Last edited:
A common frequency compensation for boxed speaker is a BAFFLE-STEP filter to bring down the higher frequencies by a few dB.

With the Cyburgs Needle, a notch-filter was used instead. It has roughly the same effect as a baffle-step compensation, and maybe dampen some "shoutiness" of the driver, but bring the highest frequencies back up a bit.

The front baffle of Hagto's cabinet is bit wider than the Needle so would need a filter tuned to a lower frequency.

SB

a passive notch filter has 3 elements in parallel with each other - R, L, C. Think of each one's frequency dependent behavior, then the combination. That driver looks reasonably smooth, so probably only the 2-element (L paralleled by R) BSC filter needed) - the parallel R limits the inductor's rolloff vs just a series inductor. Adding a parallel capacitor to the R+L parallel combo lower's the impedance at high frequencies, lowering attenuation at high frequencies thus creating the "notch" characteristic.

If your amplifier has enough power then its common to do it passively between the amp and speaker.

here's one explanation http://www.quarter-wave.com/General/BSC_Sizing.pdf

I think Planet10 has good info too

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.