Improving SQ of SuperPencil with ribbon tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Then I wouldn't make any assumption that a ribbon automatically has 'better' SQ. Depends on the ribbon and the implementation. A crossover > 10KHz from a large driver to another driver with a relatively large basket (which most ribbon tweeters have) and a completely different polar response doesn't strike me as an especially good idea, but to each their own.

Last edited:
I agree with Scott on the ribbon tweeter. Read up on their dispersion qualities...
I have used a very small AMT tweeter with my MA drivers crossed over just like yours and it provided a nice seemless sound. But I later found I could live without it.
I've also tried a rectangular planar tweeter and didn't like it.

Then I wouldn't make any assumption that a ribbon automatically has 'better' SQ. Depends on the ribbon and the implementation. A crossover > 10KHz from a large driver to another driver with a relatively large basket (which most ribbon tweeters have) and a completely different polar response doesn't strike me as an especially good idea, but to each their own.

Thanks for your reply. Which kind of super-tweeter would you advise? Fostex's bullet-style will do the job?

I've a suggestion (you probably won't like it ;)) ...if you are curious to hear what adding a tweeter might sound like without spending a lot of money, how about trying a piezo tweeter? You must use a high pass filter with it though or it will sound awful, above 10k though it will give you a good idea what to expect

Without off-axis data on the 12P it's impossible to know where the ribbon should supplement. I would sit down and listen carefully and pinpoint where the music is lacking. Is the soundstage width lacking? Does the music envelop you? Can you perceive exactly the physical loacation of each driver? Or is the sound perceived as coming from various loacations in front of you?

seems like a reasonable window for a small speaker. -4dB @20K is pretty good (it would be fun in a K)

rhSmD8d.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Scott on the ribbon tweeter. Read up on their dispersion qualities...
I have used a very small AMT tweeter with my MA drivers crossed over just like yours and it provided a nice seemless sound. But I later found I could live without it.
I've also tried a rectangular planar tweeter and didn't like it.

I guess it's the Dayton mini8; I use it in a 3 way system and its low sensitivity goes together with the other drivers, as the diameter.
It is produced in the 4 Ω version, so it might offer some more electricity :eek::rolleyes:

Probably quite inefficient, in a designer POV, to be used together with a well-behaved driver such the MA, as the crossover would ruin the properties on which the driver design is based- Well, EVEN without an inductor in line, the MA driver would still be capting the suckout of electricity when a tweeter is attached in parallel :p Kirkhoff law :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.