Faital Pro 4FE35 Folded Horn Plans?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have a pair of these I want to make cabinets for and I would like to try and simple compact folded horn. Are there any existing plans that would work for it?

Will these enclosures work with this driver does anyone think?

I've found a fostex one that looks sensible:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/images/P1000-BH-Cabinet_inner1-980x346.jpg

And this tang band one looks reasonable:
http://tb-speaker.com/uploads/editor/images/SUG1-02 DIM(1).jpg

Thiele and small parameters of the 4FE35:

Fs - 100 Hz
Re - 6.5 Ohm
Qes - 1.04
Qms - 4.2
Qts - 0.84
Vas - 2 l (0.07 ft^3)
Sd - 48 cm^2 (7.44 in^2)
Xmax (4) - 2.73 mm
Xdamage (5) - 6.8 mm
Mms - 3.9 g
Bl - 3.9 N/A
Le - 0.1 mH
Mmd - 3.7 g
Cms - 0.65 mm/N
Rms - 0.6 Kg/s
Eta Zero - 0.19 %
EBP - 96 Hz

I've read the threads on here about this driver but the jury seems to be out on it!

Cheers!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A horn is unlikely to be ideal for this driver, boostin gthe low end of a driver that needs to have its low end tamed, not exageratted.

The 1st 2 plans you posted are more TLs than horns. Any real horn action will be well above were they are transitioning from front to rear radiation.

The 3rd we have built and it is not worth the effort. We burned them in the end.

It is the right physical size to fit the Frugel-Horn Mk3 but Fs, Qt are high, Vas low. It would be a crap shoot.

A quick look at sims would suggest a well damped 5-10 litre sealed or aperiodic box — the later more capable of taming the high Q but would require more work.

dave

That TABAQ build was with 4FE32 drivers, however 4FE35 (4 ohm) drivers have been used very successfully in the TABAQ, which is a (very good) TL design, not a horn, and has been successfully folded as well. Not sure why the 4 ohm version was used?
See TABAQ TL for Tang Band

It is the right physical size to fit the Frugel-Horn Mk3 but Fs, Qt are high, Vas low. It would be a crap shoot

dave
Would 4fe32 ( Neodymium version) match well in frugal horn mk3 ?
Comparatively it is having lower qts of around 0.5 and vas but little higher fs at 100hz .. below are it's parameters:

Resonant Frequency (fs) 100 Hz
DC Resistance (Re) 6.5 Ohm
BL Product (BL) 4.8 N/A
Diaphragm Mass inc. Airload (Mms) 4.2 grams
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms) 0.6 mm/N
Rms 0.45 Kg/s
Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 0.6
Mechanical Q (Qms) 4.9
Total Q (Qts) 0.5
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas) 0.14 ft³, 4 dm³
Surface Area of Cone (Sd) 9.8"², 63.6 cm²
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)* 2.7 mm
Xdamage** 6.8 mm
Coil Inductance (Le) 0.18 mH
Diaphragm mass (Mmd) 3.9 g
Eta Zero 0.55 %

Thanks for the links above.
After some reading i came up with the idea that Tabaq enclosure design is a perfect project to begin with.
I will use a pair of FaitalPro 4FE35-8 ( 8Ohm) speakers for the build, only doubt i have is about the speaker overall depth difference between of the FaitalPro 4 Ohm version (49.8mm) compared to the 8Ohm version (58.3mm's ) and if/how this difference could affect the overall performance

It might. Qt looks good, but Fs is very high (more like a 3” — compromise to get sensitivity up?), and the critical Vas is not specified in your list. Not enuff info to say.

dave
In one website it's given as vas 0.14 feet cube that is 3.9 litres and in another it's given as 0.08 feet cube that is 2.2 litres ..
Please suggest if this driver will match frugal horn mk3 ..

In one website it's given as vas 0.14 feet cube that is 3.9 litres and in another it's given as 0.08 feet cube that is 2.2 litres ..

Just looked at the company site and it is having small difference between 4 ohm and 8 ohm versions..
for 8 ohm version it's given as qts =0.6, vas =0.07 feet cube that is around 2 liters , fs 100hz ..
for 4 ohm version it's given as qts =0.54, vas =0.08 feet cube that is around 2.2 liters , fs 100hz
below is the link
https://faitalpro.com/en/products/LF_Loudspeakers/product_details/index.php?id=401005100

Last edited:

From the data listed in post 10 above, that unit will be fine in FH3.

Based on the official 4FE32 data sheets (which appear rather different to the data in post 10, presumably for a different unit as Sd is wildly different), the 4ohm & 8ohm models will also go in FH3. The acoustic low pass will not be quite as well defined as intended, but acceptable. Relatively high gain offseting the limited travel; the 4ohm version may require a touch more damping.

Last edited:
The acoustic low pass will not be quite as well defined as intended, but acceptable. Relatively high gain offseting the limited travel; the 4ohm version may require a touch more damping.

Hi Scott, David,

thanks for the info.

Could you please tell which version is more suitable in FH3, out of 4 ohm and 8 ohm version. which one will be more preferable.
Could you please clarify regarding the above statement regarding "acoustic low pass" "high gain offsetting the limited travel"...
Regarding more damping for 4ohm version, means we need to add more polyfill below the driver?
As the Fs of these drivers is 100Hz, will the bass output will be limited for these when compared with other drivers in FH3 (mark audio/fostex which we normally use in FH3) ?

I was looking for alternative drivers for FH3 which are locally available with less cost (without high shipping prices), and was check about these if they were suitable.

Hi Scott, David,

thanks for the info.

Could you please tell which version is more suitable in FH3, out of 4 ohm and 8 ohm version. which one will be more preferable.
Could you please clarify regarding the above statement regarding "acoustic low pass" "high gain offsetting the limited travel"...
Regarding more damping for 4ohm version, means we need to add more polyfill below the driver?
As the Fs of these drivers is 100Hz, will the bass output will be limited for these when compared with other drivers in FH3 (mark audio/fostex which we normally use in FH3) ?

Hi Scott, Dave,

Could you please share your inputs regarding this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.