The "Dutch" Karlson 12

- has been a popular build in Europe and spoken of, like Karlson boxes in general, as playing very loud with very little visible cone movement.

I would assume its based upon Karlson's 2nd K12 with a distributed slot port which appeared around 1956 and published in the July 1958 issue of Popular Mechanics. Its 3 port slots are much larger than Karlson's K12 with 6 saw blade-width cut slits, so should have less velocity. The panel above the speaker baffle, fully perpendicular.

IIRC, there was a build some years back on Diyaudio, but I've not been able to locate the thread or post.

Article https://i.imgur.com/SBDGevY.png

Plan http://home.planet.nl/~ulfman/images/Plans/new12in.gif

Karlson's 2nd K12
6553ba203ae53f80f8cb08e62dda952a--speaker-plans-hifi-speakers.jpg

a couple of Karlson's mid 1960's K12 - one apparently offered with a blank port panel

(the first pair are mine)
PvBejSd.jpg

ZxGbIup.jpg

6PBeU6n.jpg

A down-scaled version of the "Dutch" Karlson 12
7cd715fb96541892e2aa2b06e624674d--transparent-speakers.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
DUTCH K12 PLAN

it would be easy to brace the "wings" with dowel struts coming from the port panel.

I wonder if the 190mm cutout was intended for a specific Phillips fullrange? Remember,
the speaker was rear mounted.

b8k3H23.jpg

DpWU52e.jpg

Pc15pWB.jpg

mhxFcEW.jpg

wumNVnV.jpg

8JqKAT8.jpg

J66Ptu6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, the Philips 9710 is 190mm across and this build was very popular with this particular driver. It was published in notable DIY mags as you've shown. On the Dutch DIY forum there's a nice discussion going on the Karlson and its applications for Philips drivers.

Last edited:
hi Lohengrimas - - would you have a link for that forum ? hi X - that might be a good budget woofer - wonder if a K-tube on top would be more accepted if it were "hidden" behind an open support structure covered with grill cloth? The tapered aperture might be hidden also so the front view appears to be one piece of grill cloth. Sides and top are open on the top cage. It could be made of dowel rods for four corner supports, and thin plywood for the cage's top and bottom frame. - kind of like the old Vandersteen speakers but keep the frame minimal.

what do you think about using a wide baffle at the exit of the compression driver ? - I think that could make up for a loss of LF that occurs when a baffle only the width of the compression driver is used. It can be tested with cardboard baffles and once one's satisfied with the result, a more permanent baffle can be made of wood, acrylic, aluminum, etc.

Last edited:
thank you very much ! - Its interesting to read Tom's deduction of the Karlson enclosure (referring to xrk971's Akabak work) and comments with Phillips 9710

Also, its fun to see MechanicalAnimal's Dutch K12 again.

It is - I really should build a K12 for my AD12202's and see how that works out to add to the discussion, but I don't have the carpentry confidence to pull it off...

one thing I would expect with the Dutch K12's three 15mm tall vents vs Karlson's narrow slits would be more midrange coming from the rear of the speaker cone. Even the narrow K12 slits seem to pass some midrange.

I wonder who developed the "Dutch K12"? I'd assume its an empirically worked out version of Karlson's 12. Also interesting is its chamber shape with a perpendicular port board rather than to slant it forwards or use a curved panel per final "Acoustic Transducers" patent. In some instances, I think a curved panel may exacerbate ripple (?) also a reflector might make the image sound higher and more broad as more of the scattered and bounced high frequency information in the front chamber gets focused towards the aperture. (What are your thoughts on the role of the reflector?)

Another K-coupler worth mentioning is the little 15 inch model which was derived from Karlson's 1965 "X15" and manufactured after Karlson's death by various firms, notably, Transylvania Power Co. and Acoustic Control, among others. That little 15" K-ooupler was about 30 liters in bulk larger than a K12, had similar cutoff frequency. Even without any damping material in its rear chamber, that form makes a nice graph for this type cabinet.

X15 "near copy" - its pretty accurate other than the speaker cutout accidentally place 7/8" too high. Karlson used an aperture which was not a pure radial arc in this model, and the expansion opened up a bit faster in the first half of travel downwards than radial.

"Near-copy" of Karlson's X15 (introduced in 1965). The first version had a mini-"klam'clam" treble section driven by a 3" cone speaker. That was replaced with the slotted tube tweeter (sounds GREAT). Karlson apparently experimented a lot with vents and two different K-tubes have been seen in the rare X15 so far. My X15 K-tubes are clones of a 1.987" diameter tube , about 7.25" long. Another X15 had a tube which appeared to be about 1.25" in diameter.

qMFgzEL.jpg

X15.jpg

Johny Holiday's X15 rear view - note rear shelf and additional "de-Q-ing" vent holes.
It sported ~1.25" ID K-tube
j9g7xFR.jpg

Front Page of Karlson's "Acoustic Transducers" patent. The curved reflector, implemented in K's "X15" with a 3 panel approximation, was touted to improve polars.

IlSdABt.jpg

Acoustic Control 115BK ground plane and sketch of dimensions. If it were scaled by a factor of 1.2:1 for an 18 inch speaker, it would be about the same bulk as Karlson's K15 and should work well.

post-16352-1381927583395.jpg

5MJbsa9.jpg

115BK topped with an X15 tube - very nice sound - K's always sound more real on bowed bass viola
than reflex (and a lot of horn)

XeJTZ38.jpg

Franz Stolz's BEC (Eernst Beck) version of the Transylvania Power Company X15 size K-coupler
5gPNfLz.jpg

The Dutch K12 and Acoustic Control's 115BK are perfect candidates for a good woofer and topped with
a K-tube. 115BK's external width was ~20.5" with Tolex covering.

6NMl2KB.jpg

Transylvania System built pretty
DSCF0008.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
A little K system with subwoofer would be a potent and reasonably compact setup. My K12 with Pyle PM1298 (about the same driver as Eminence's Kappa 12A), topped with a K-tube, has more "grab" than my Klipschorns. Add a decent sub to get the lower octaves, and there should be pretty good dynamics. A K12 with woofer like the Kappa should take 200 watt peaks on drum transients without exceeding 5mm peak to peak.

Its a lot of fun to see all these new K-variants in the DIY community: GregB's "Karlsonator", XRK971's double mini Karlsonators and XKi. Don't forget the original type either - they have their place ;^).

Last edited:
It is - I really should build a K12 for my AD12202's and see how that works out to add to the discussion, but I don't have the carpentry confidence to pull it off...

As far as the old-style Karlsons go, the AD12202 would likely be better used in a 15" format koupler, X15 at the very least, K15 probably better. The high Qt and Vas on most Philips drivers has them do better in larger boxes IMO. I had a pair of 9710 which did poorly in a modern SK8 (10" size koupler in reality) but relatively well in the old 12" format Karlsonette.

As far as the old-style Karlsons go, the AD12202 would likely be better used in a 15" format koupler, X15 at the very least, K15 probably better. The high Qt and Vas on most Philips drivers has them do better in larger boxes IMO. I had a pair of 9710 which did poorly in a modern SK8 (10" size koupler in reality) but relatively well in the old 12" format Karlsonette.

Yes, the Karlsonnette is traditional one for the 9710. I'll check out the K15!

I haven't been toying with audio stuff much in the last few years, having settled on my various setups and having other existing and new hobbies as well, but I'd probably have a hard time passing up a nice pair of AD12202 if I came across it. I've heard good things about this driver and I've liked my Philips 9710 and AD7060 so far.

The "Dutch" K12 seems to have elements of Karlson's first and second K12 versions. There's no attempt at a "reflector" (the "Dutch K12" have less response ripple than say trying to implement a curved panel in that space)

K12 PORT AREA - the Dutch model has close to 50% more port area than the 1954 K12/"Karlsonette", plus a taller speaker baffle. Karlson's 2nd K12 (which appeared in the July 1958 issue of Popular Mechanics) had 6 slit vents.

KARLSONETTE = 12.42 SQ. INCHES

DUTCH K12 = 18.26. SQ. INCHES

KARLSONETTE FRONT CHAMBER DEPTH = 6.375"

DUTCH K12 FRONT CHAMBER DEPTH = 5.75"

- KARLSONETTE FRONT CHAMBER ABOUT 5/8" DEEPER THAN THE DUTCH K12

The first K12 , with its rear shelf and movable bar, had a lot tighter lowpass gap than Karlson's 2nd K12 and the Dutch model.

WMcEOmK.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone here know who developed this "Dutch K12" and where/when the plan was first published?

The split rear shelf boards suggest that feature cane from the Karlson 12 with distributed slit port introduced ~ 1956 and presented as a construction
article in the July 1958 issue of Popular Mechanics.

Whomever developed this cabinet apparently thought it was an improvement over Karlson's K12 and its had many builds with many favorable comments.

Has it been scaled down a bit with any success ?

Post #4 - Dayton Audio DC300-8 12"

Hi xrk971, it's been a while for me, hope everything is going well. From the spec sheet the Dayton Audio DC300-8 12" should go high enough to couple to a K-tube, at least it's new and cost effective. Have you modelled this driver in the Dutch K12, maybe with and without the upper panel tilt freddi shows in Post #8? I don't have access to AkAbak anymore. Well, anyway...Best Regards.

hi TB46, For K12, I look for relatively low mass speakers with some on-axis response rise.

I had a Dayton PA310 12" speaker in a K12. despite having a very extended on axis response, it sounded like it was under water compared to Eminence's Kappa12a. I do think with a lowpass filter set to "boost" (pull more current) around the crossover frequency that the Dayton could be made to sound better/ more clear.

Would the 60-ish tuning of the Dutch K12 and low fs of that Dayton create a peaking situation as with an Eminence car woofer I measured ? This woofer had higher qts than your Dayton pick. An "XKi" style duct could allow low tuning.

Akabak3 may offer answers to front chamber cavity shape and effects.

Does the 300Hz dip come from the ~22 inch dimension from top of front chamber to the floor ? You can
see with the vent open, the back wave appears to fill in that hole.

yjgSZRZ.jpg

Last edited:
here's a "Dutch K12" built by member "Mechanical Animal". IIRC metal trim was added all around the cabinet.

It would be interesting to see Akabak simulations of this cabinet with several 12 inch drivers including Fane's 12-250TC and Eminence 12LTA.

72DzinQ.jpg