Paper Cone Treatments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have purchased and applied a Japanese coating for paper
That is made from persimmon juice. It is water resistant when dry
And used historically to make paper umbrellas And paper clothing. It greatly strengthens the fibers while adding a degree of stiffness. My concern with water based coatings is that they may distort The shape of the cone if it doesn’t dry uniformly. Of course solvents can attack the glue used to attach the cone to the coil former and surrounds. In Japan there was a speaker Manufacturer who used this persimmon coating called Kakishibu in the formulation of his cones.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Would this one be correct?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That is the one i use.

On a separate note. Do you apply it on the cone only or on the dust cap as well.

Usually, but depends on the driver. Be careful applying to the dustup. I don’t know the Faital yet, but i have wiped out a few of the more delicate dustcaps by not being careful.

Avoid the glitter stuff. The outdoor stuff is probably fine, i have a bottle but just use it for the spot on the dustcap as one of the last EnABL steps.

dave

Dave, have you done any formal testing of various cone treatments including measurements?
Troels Gravesen has and it seams that it is a tricky business with unpredictable results.
Oddly, some cones (the Rogers LS3/5 woofer comes to mind) are literally plastic (bextrene ?) and in some cases have an additional whitish doping of PVA I believe at the base of the cone. Why then would paper cones react so sensitively to the addition of a varnish or lacquer etc causing undesired breakup or dampening? Obviously additional mass is a likely culprit. I have seen some interesting cones made from phenolic resin used for outdoor installations but are reputed ( if the manufacturer is to be believed) to have excellent sonic characteristics somewhat like the phenolic diaphragms used in compression drivers. These are likely quite heavy cones relative to other materials. Curious.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We have done no formal tests.

Bextrene cones — at least the KEF ones — had the full cone covered with something like PVA.

Coatings that make the cone stiffer, like Damar or too much C37, stiffen the cone and typically lead to ringing. We use a very thin coat of diluted modpodge to seal the surface of the cone, tie all the fibres that make up the paper. The PVA remains flexible.

dave

I was thinking about this recently and I thought what if I coated it thicker on the outer rim of the cone maybe 3 coats and followed by 2 coats and finally only one coat where it is near the centre dust cap.

This will make it more flexible near the centre and stiffer away corresponding to a cone breakup that progresses towards the centre as the frequency increases. Any thoughts...

Oon

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am considering coating 12P. What do you say about that planet 10?

I put a very thin coat of somewhat diluted Puzzlekoat on the Mark Audio paper cone drivers before EnABLing them.

This also allows for colour changes.

You can find more examples in this thread (look for A6/7/10/12p/pw):

A6p-wine-wRed-comp.jpg

It's not easy being green -- just pictures

1st pertinent example in post #42. You can also see some of the other drivers i have done up.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.