FR 4-6.5" comparison: 4FE32, Alpair-10P, SPH-60X, W4-1337SDF, FE166En

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I really like this box. I'm 90% sure I'll end up using it. Since I'll probably get a pair of A7.3/A7P, I assume I can make it a bit smaller (not much, but a bit). Is that a safe assumption?

The assumption that the A7.3/A7p can fit a smaller box is correct. It has to be specific to the driver thou. There is a standard milliSIze box (4.7 litres) for each of these, i haven’t tried smaller.

milliSize me...

We have put many drivers in this box size, changing only driver mounting details and the vent spacer. Some of the plans are free, but for the larger drivers (where a CGR was released for free) they are part of the paid planset.

Between the A7.3 and the A7p we give the edge to the metal cone. The A7p has some HF issues which do seem to go away with extended breakin (>1000 hrs) but we only have one example. Even after the long breakin the metal cone driver is still capable of greater DDR (ability to reproduce small detail). I am not saying the paper is a bad driver, we have clients that love them, just our personal preferences.

dave

Re "downsized" box for the A7.3 /P - Dave has a series of designs for these models - http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/CGR-dMar-Ken73-190216.pdf

Thank you. I don't like the visual aspect as much as the 7 litre vented 0v81 shown in post #24

Based on my experience with Alpairs over the past few years, I think whichever design suited your size constraints would work well. Just note that the smaller enclosures do give up a bit of extension at the low frequencies.

I'll probably used the aforementioned 7 litre vented 0v81 with a 4-5" driver (not the 10P)

The assumption that the A7.3/A7p can fit a smaller box is correct. It has to be specific to the driver thou. There is a standard milliSIze box (4.7 litres) for each of these, i haven’t tried smaller.

milliSize me...

These are nice too, thank you

We have put many drivers in this box size, changing only driver mounting details and the vent spacer. Some of the plans are free, but for the larger drivers (where a CGR was released for free) they are part of the paid planset.

If I don't find the previous plan suitable I'll contact you to get a paid plan for whatever driver I end up with.

Between the A7.3 and the A7p we give the edge to the metal cone. The A7p has some HF issues which do seem to go away with extended breakin (>1000 hrs) but we only have one example. Even after the long breakin the metal cone driver is still capable of greater DDR (ability to reproduce small detail). I am not saying the paper is a bad driver, we have clients that love them, just our personal preferences.

dave

Noted

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'll probably used the aforementioned 7 litre vented 0v81 with a 4-5" driver (not the 10P)

That box only works for the A10p.

If I don't find the previous plan suitable I'll contact you to get a paid plan for whatever driver I end up with.

Planset subscription does entitle you to a custom version. The 7 litre can likely be modified for use with A7.3/A7p/A10.3.

dave

zgtc - note that #24 in your above reference had photo of "Compact Floorstander" (with EL70), while the PDF link was for small vented box for the A10P - which I don't recall building or hearing a pair of.

I wasn't clear at the time which driver you'd settled on. Note that Mark's model designations reference the effective cone size, not frame dimensions - something that continues to confuse DIYers and some resellers. The A10s and Pluvia11 are 10cm (~4"), while the A7., Pluvia7 and CH- 70s are 7cm (~3").

I also don't recall whether you'd indicated use of any bass augmentation (i.e. "subs"), but returning to my earlier comments - in a room size as indicated, I'd suspect the A7 / modulus86 combo would be just fine. Very nice "sounding" (i.e. it doesn't have one) amp that I wouldn't mind adding to my harem, and certainly does more than adequate job with the Alpairs. The floorstanding boxes tend to deliver deeper bass extension, while the smaller standmounters - particularly the trapezoids (finickier build), deliver excellent imaging.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...small vented box for the A10P - which I don't recall building or hearing a pair of…

A box i quickly did for zgtc to see if A10p would fit this small a box.

something that continues to confuse DIYers and some resellers. The A10s and Pluvia11 are 10cm (~4"), while the A7., Pluvia7 and CH- 70s are 7cm (~3").

Confusion even here. P11 & A10x are nominal 5.25: drivers (with 4” cone diameter) and A7/P7/CHx-70 are nominal 4” drivers with 3” cones.\\

dave

That was my point above - approximate / effective cone size, not frame dimensions . Other makers aren't much better -Fostex for example, classifies the FF165WK as 6.5", but the through hole is 146mm (5.8"), and the effective cone diameter is 130mm (just under 5 1/8").

back to your regularly scheduled programming

zgtc - note that #24 in your above reference had photo of "Compact Floorstander" (with EL70), while the PDF link was for small vented box for the A10P - which I don't recall building or hearing a pair of.
A box i quickly did for zgtc to see if A10p would fit this small a box.

Wow, so that PDF was made on purpose for me? I feel in debt now. Is it OK to contact you through DM?

I wasn't clear at the time which driver you'd settled on. Note that Mark's model designations reference the effective cone size, not frame dimensions - something that continues to confuse DIYers and some resellers. The A10s and Pluvia11 are 10cm (~4"), while the A7., Pluvia7 and CH- 70s are 7cm (~3").
Confusion even here. P11 & A10x are nominal 5.25: drivers (with 4” cone diameter) and A7/P7/CHx-70 are nominal 4” drivers with 3” cones.\\

dave
That was my point above - approximate / effective cone size, not frame dimensions . Other makers aren't much better -Fostex for example, classifies the FF165WK as 6.5", but the through hole is 146mm (5.8"), and the effective cone diameter is 130mm (just under 5 1/8").

back to your regularly scheduled programming

Well I just look at external diameter in specs, I don't even follow nominal size since I will need to make it into a box depending on physical measures, not specs :) Thank you for the appreciation anyway, just in case.

Thank you again

in a room size as indicated, I'd suspect the A7 / modulus86 combo would be just fine. Very nice "sounding" (i.e. it doesn't have one) amp that I wouldn't mind adding to my harem, and certainly does more than adequate job with the Alpairs.

Yes I think it makes sense to pair A7 with modulus86.

Is it too much of an abuse if I list my final list of drivers below? I've been reading quite a lot these weeks, but too much info sometimes is worse than having two options :)

1. Markaudio Alpair-7 Gen3. Everything I read about it is good. A bit pricey but I would dismiss the WAF :)
  2. Faital Pro 4FE32 / 4FE35: I read in a post linked above that 4FE35 sounds very similar to A7.3 ("the 4FE35 sounds slightly more forgiving with more raw recordings, the A7.3 having slightly clearer highs") for 1/3 the value.
  3. Dayton Audio RS100-8: anyone has any info on this driver?
  4. Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-08: anyone has any info on this driver?
  5. Scan Speak 10F/8424G00: maybe a bit short on both ends (more a mid than a FR)?

Thank you

I've only heard two from that list - and yes the 10F is an excellent midrange, with no detectable character to my ears, but at $95are $10 ea more than the A7.3.

Just to further confuse you, a newer brand along the same design philosophy as the SEAS/Scanspeak to consider would be SB Acoustics :: Official SB Acoustics Website

The SB is reaaaaally pretty, but I just see a 2.5" 4Ohm driver?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Wow, so that PDF was made on purpose for me? I feel in debt now. Is it OK to contact you through DM?

You inspired it, but i was curious about whether the driver would fit that small a box. And now i have a simple box half-way between the deciSize & millSize that i can use for a number of drivers.

DM = Direct Mail? Yes, only way i can be acsessed, address at one of the websites in my signature.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
[*]Markaudio Alpair-7 Gen3.

Alpair 7.3 now with the addition of an arrestor to warn you you ar epushing too far. My favorite driver ever so far

[*]Faital Pro

Drivers on my list to try. After the TC9 fiasco i am more cautious with rave reviews on drivers, but these Italian made units could well trade cheap baskets for low price.

[*]Dayton Audio RS100-8

No experience. I always approach PE housebrand with caution.

[*]Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-08

Qt too high for anything but an OB, or maybe a biggish aperiodic box.

[*]Scan Speak 10F/8424G00

Very smooth, but really an extended midrange driver. Pretty as well as expensive. Goes into a really cute little miniOnken that would really give a challenge to a Bose cube. There is a cheaper one (still not inexpensive) that is more of a FR.

SS-10F-nScan-Ken.jpg

Most of these are 4” but the 10F is really a 3” which would imply consideration of the Alpair 5.2/6.2 and the Fostex FF85wk, (which i have heard & like) and possiblly the 3” Faital (which i haven’t).

dave

You inspired it, but i was curious about whether the driver would fit that small a box. And now i have a simple box half-way between the deciSize & millSize that i can use for a number of drivers.

DM = Direct Mail? Yes, only way i can be acsessed, address at one of the websites in my signature.

dave

will do, thank you

Alpair 7.3 now with the addition of an arrestor to warn you you are pushing too far. My favorite driver ever so far
Only real drawback is price, but apparently it fits like a glove por the purpose.

(Faital Pro) Drivers on my list to try. After the TC9 fiasco i am more cautious with rave reviews on drivers, but these Italian made units could well trade cheap baskets for low price.
Main doubt for driver selection is this. They even sound nearly as A7's at 1/3 the cost, according to other people in the forum.

(Dayton Audio RS100-8) No experience. I always approach PE housebrand with caution.
Didn't know it a PE self brand. In any case, reviewing the graphics they seem more a mid than a FR.

(Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-08) Qt too high for anything but an OB, or maybe a biggish aperiodic box.
Noted, off the list then.

(Scan Speak 10F/8424G00) Very smooth, but really an extended midrange driver. Pretty as well as expensive. Goes into a really cute little miniOnken that would really give a challenge to a Bose cube. There is a cheaper one (still not inexpensive) that is more of a FR.

Most of these are 4” but the 10F is really a 3” which would imply consideration of the Alpair 5.2/6.2 and the Fostex FF85wk, (which i have heard & like) and possiblly the 3” Faital (which i haven’t).

dave
I like that box design. Will contact you.

Check the coming soon tab on the manufacturer's website, and as well note that their 4" midrange models ( SB12MNRX25-4 below) show at least as much extension at both ends as many "full-range" units. The Satoris are something else again.

Coming drivers are not that pretty, and current drivers are 4Ohm. Price is OK, but overall I would prefer A7.3, Faital or TB, they seem adequate for the job and look much better.

dave

I nearly overlook this one. I was focusing on 4-6.5" drivers, but... would I get a good enough system with a 3"? Given the room size + Mod86 amp power capped at 28W. Gut feeling tells me I'd need to force the amp a bit more, but I don't know if there is any interesting 3-4" alternatives (besides those 5.2/6.2 and FF85WK) that would also allow me to make the enclosure much smaller and still get good sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.