FR 4-6.5" comparison: 4FE32, Alpair-10P, SPH-60X, W4-1337SDF, FE166En

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FF105WK

Indeed, as much as Dave & I like to crow about the 85WK, the 105 is almost a Goldilocks model - it sure works well in Woden Vampyr BVR. Although some folks certainly claim particular sensitivity to the peaks in the 5 -7 Khz that many small FR drivers exhibit, I much prefer these to the FE126 myself - since I'm no longer running flea-watt SET amps - the slight sensitivity penalty is far less of an issue than it was with my 2A3 or EL84 SE monoblocks.

FWIW, I don't like to shoehorn any of the FH models too close to a back wall or deep into a corner - while it can improve the bass extension / impact, to me it destroys some of the large soundstage resulting from reflection of the rear mouth output. I found that between a foot to 18inches and as close to symmetrical on both sides as possible was just about right - but it's very room dependent.

While my life is full of many blessings, a room dedicated to the best acoustics the space will allow is not among them, which is why I often tend to recommend the smaller footprint types like Pensil, or Dave's compact floorstanders. Even though excellent performance can be achieved with a small stand mount type such as the "mini-onkens", Woden Baby-Labs, many of XRK's designs, etc, they generally suffer in terms of bass extension, and the cost of decent stands is usually more than the difference in material it'd take to build the floorstanders.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A 7 litre A10p enclosure. Vent size might be a bit small, but should be OK with the high aspect ratio;

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloads/A10p-7L-vented-0v9-280917.pdf

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Edit: above revised 28-sep-17 to move vent closer to optimal cross-section, box is deeper & shorter, vent could still be bigger in use should not be a big issue

Chris mentioned Compact Floorstander, A10p will fit this 13 litre one, but optimal is 17 litre — just a bit wider.

Mar-Kel70-Trap-FS-comp.jpg

dave

what about the monacor low-mid, in case i want to go the 2-way path?

The SPH 135AD is often recommended for 5-6 litre enclosures. However I feel that the SPH 135TC is the better unit for this size of enclosure. Using the manufacturer's specs, it models better into an enclosure of this size. Both drivers need to be in a closed box for this volume of enclosure.

The disadvantage of the TC is that it has a lower sensitivity. It does have 2 separate coils, which offers flexible impedance options should you want.

The peak in the upper range of the FF105wk can be ameriolated with a simple mod (2 coats of Zig 2-way glue at the junction of the cone/surround on the back of the cone)

I might give that tip a try. I put mine aside a while ago, since I didn't think they were good enough to use or give away, but I couldn't bear to just scrap them.

Note that in a small box, it needs about 5dB of equalisation to get the overall balance OK, so ~84dB is the effective sensitivity.

This link shows the response. The OP looks young-ish (no grey in his beard), so he'd probably need to fix the tipped up response and big HF peak one way or another.

Fostex FF105WK Experiments

hollowboy - the jewel green boxes with suprabaffles in which the 105s are pictured are not exactly a horn, but actually Woden Design | Vampyr-V
to quote from the designer (Scott Lindgren):

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, san-serif]Forward-firing double-mouth waveguide. Unique Big Vent Mass-loaded Voigt

I couldn't help adding my own little aesthetic twist to the boxy erect design by eliminating the top and bottom void cavities and tilting back at 5dg. Not seen in this early photo was a refinement to the detail of outrigger and rear stabilizer fin / foot. These tall skinny enclosures all benefit from some method of widening the footprint to prevent toppling.

[/FONT]

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanx Chris, you beat me, althou just a variation, Scott’s BVML-V is the only speaker design i know of that hasn’t already been done by our forefathers.

And to Hollowboy’s comment about “levelling” the FF105wk, i find it to be fine in the Woden Baby Lab with no EQ. Matter of fact i find few of our boxes need BSC EQ — problematic in that it may level on axis frequency response but also causes a big bump in the LF power response.

dave

If you (OP) listen to rock, metal, or techno then check out the seas full range. It has a good xmax, can be used sealed or ported (easy box design) and will mate with a sub.

Seas Prestige FA22RCZ (H1597-08) 8" Fullrange

I would not pinch pennies either on diy. You don't have to spend a lot to get good sound but for the amount of time to build a speaker might as well get what you think is best.

Nice unit that FA22 - but might be either over budget, or larger than the 4.5 -6" size originally specified.

I mostly listen to metal and some techno (mostly nearfield) and as much as I like the elegance of small sfrds you won't get great dynamics. compression drivers are really where its at, but they're not great nearfield. mtm's are good. A bigger full range with whizzer would be decent.

Fine, but we need to avoid going too far off track, and let the OP digest the sack of oats he's been fed on this thread - remember that he'd originally posited a 7 liter-ish enclosure, and a 21sq meter space (under 230ft ^2).

I've heard numerous 4 - 5" FR driver based systems work quite satisfactorily in rooms that size, or even larger - and certainly not just a near field / desk top scenario.

Hey all, I'm back after a short hiatus. Hopefully I have digested most of the info you all provided, thank you again.

Don't forget the Alpair 7P. Slightly more sensitive than the 7.3.

I'm moving into a similarly sized room and the Frugel Horn mk3 will fit plenty easy, assuming you have a wall or corner you can place it close to.

Again here alpair 7P is having mixed reviews where as the metal version alpair 7.3 enjoying mostly positive reviews

I think these drivers I like the most from anything mentioned in the thread. Not really sure of differences between A7.3 and A7P though.

A 7 litre A10p enclosure. Vent size might be a bit small, but should be OK with the high aspect ratio;

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloads/A10p-7L-vented-0v81-140917.pdf

dave

I really like this box. I'm 90% sure I'll end up using it. Since I'll probably get a pair of A7.3/A7P, I assume I can make it a bit smaller (not much, but a bit). Is that a safe assumption?

That'd certainly help. I'm guessing the horn lifts the output ~50-300Hz

I think the OPs stated 7 litre box size means any high-ish efficiency driver will need to be flattened out, and will be <85dB once he does get it ~flat 100Hz-10kHz.

Good info, thank you. I already stopped making efficiency number one factor, thanks to some messages above.

If you (OP) listen to rock, metal, or techno then check out the seas full range. It has a good xmax, can be used sealed or ported (easy box design) and will mate with a sub.

Seas Prestige FA22RCZ (H1597-08) 8" Fullrange

I would not pinch pennies either on diy. You don't have to spend a lot to get good sound but for the amount of time to build a speaker might as well get what you think is best.

Nice unit that FA22 - but might be either over budget, or larger than the 4.5 -6" size originally specified.

Chris is correct, I really like that drive, but it's too big and too expensive. I've seen a Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-08 that might fit though, any impressions? Comparison to the A7.x?

Fine, but we need to avoid going too far off track, and let the OP digest the sack of oats he's been fed on this thread - remember that he'd originally posited a 7 liter-ish enclosure, and a 21sq meter space (under 230ft ^2).

I've heard numerous 4 - 5" FR driver based systems work quite satisfactorily in rooms that size, or even larger - and certainly not just a near field / desk top scenario.

I'm pretty sure it will sound good enough. I've heard crappier/smaller speakers that sound relatively well. Investing in a pair of Alpair and putting them in that box above should become a right build.

Other than that, been looking for other alternatives, and aside the ones that people's mentioned here like the FF105WK (which is not visually appealing to me, if that matters anything) I only found Dayton Audio RS100-8. How good-bad are these for my purpose? Any reference comparison to the A7.3/A7P (I know the price difference comes at a quality cost).

Thank you again everyone.

Re "downsized" box for the A7.3 /P - Dave has a series of designs for these models - http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/CGR-dMar-Ken73-190216.pdf
not all of which I've built or heard - there are also a few of the more elaborate "mini-onken" family - both rectilinear and trapezoid types. Based on my experience with Alpairs over the past few years, I think whichever design suited your size constraints would work well. Just note that the smaller enclosures do give up a bit of extension at the low frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.