Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FR 4-6.5" comparison: 4FE32, Alpair-10P, SPH-60X, W4-1337SDF, FE166En
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2017, 06:41 PM   #51
zgtc is offline zgtc
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I've only heard two from that list - and yes the 10F is an excellent midrange, with no detectable character to my ears, but at $95are $10 ea more than the A7.3.

Just to further confuse you, a newer brand along the same design philosophy as the SEAS/Scanspeak to consider would be SB Acoustics :: Official SB Acoustics Website
The SB is reaaaaally pretty, but I just see a 2.5" 4Ohm driver?
Old 28th September 2017, 07:24 PM   #52
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgtc View Post
Wow, so that PDF was made on purpose for me? I feel in debt now. Is it OK to contact you through DM?
You inspired it, but i was curious about whether the driver would fit that small a box. And now i have a simple box half-way between the deciSize & millSize that i can use for a number of drivers.

DM = Direct Mail? Yes, only way i can be acsessed, address at one of the websites in my signature.

dave
Old 28th September 2017, 07:34 PM   #53
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
[*]Markaudio Alpair-7 Gen3.
Alpair 7.3 now with the addition of an arrestor to warn you you ar epushing too far. My favorite driver ever so far

Quote:
[*]Faital Pro
Drivers on my list to try. After the TC9 fiasco i am more cautious with rave reviews on drivers, but these Italian made units could well trade cheap baskets for low price.

Quote:
[*]Dayton Audio RS100-8
No experience. I always approach PE housebrand with caution.

Quote:
[*]Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-08
Qt too high for anything but an OB, or maybe a biggish aperiodic box.

Quote:
[*]Scan Speak 10F/8424G00
Very smooth, but really an extended midrange driver. Pretty as well as expensive. Goes into a really cute little miniOnken that would really give a challenge to a Bose cube. There is a cheaper one (still not inexpensive) that is more of a FR.

Click the image to open in full size.

Most of these are 4” but the 10F is really a 3” which would imply consideration of the Alpair 5.2/6.2 and the Fostex FF85wk, (which i have heard & like) and possiblly the 3” Faital (which i haven’t).

dave
Old 28th September 2017, 08:35 PM   #54
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The SB is reaaaaally pretty, but I just see a 2.5" 4Ohm driver?

Check the coming soon tab on the manufacturer's website, and as well note that their 4" midrange models ( SB12MNRX25-4 below) show at least as much extension at both ends as many "full-range" units. The Satoris are something else again.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th September 2017, 10:05 AM   #55
zgtc is offline zgtc
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You inspired it, but i was curious about whether the driver would fit that small a box. And now i have a simple box half-way between the deciSize & millSize that i can use for a number of drivers.

DM = Direct Mail? Yes, only way i can be acsessed, address at one of the websites in my signature.

dave
will do, thank you

Quote:
Alpair 7.3 now with the addition of an arrestor to warn you you are pushing too far. My favorite driver ever so far
Only real drawback is price, but apparently it fits like a glove por the purpose.

Quote:
(Faital Pro) Drivers on my list to try. After the TC9 fiasco i am more cautious with rave reviews on drivers, but these Italian made units could well trade cheap baskets for low price.
Main doubt for driver selection is this. They even sound nearly as A7's at 1/3 the cost, according to other people in the forum.

Quote:
(Dayton Audio RS100-8) No experience. I always approach PE housebrand with caution.
Didn't know it a PE self brand. In any case, reviewing the graphics they seem more a mid than a FR.

Quote:
(Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-08) Qt too high for anything but an OB, or maybe a biggish aperiodic box.
Noted, off the list then.

Quote:
(Scan Speak 10F/8424G00) Very smooth, but really an extended midrange driver. Pretty as well as expensive. Goes into a really cute little miniOnken that would really give a challenge to a Bose cube. There is a cheaper one (still not inexpensive) that is more of a FR.

Most of these are 4” but the 10F is really a 3” which would imply consideration of the Alpair 5.2/6.2 and the Fostex FF85wk, (which i have heard & like) and possiblly the 3” Faital (which i haven’t).

dave
I like that box design. Will contact you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Check the coming soon tab on the manufacturer's website, and as well note that their 4" midrange models ( SB12MNRX25-4 below) show at least as much extension at both ends as many "full-range" units. The Satoris are something else again.
Coming drivers are not that pretty, and current drivers are 4Ohm. Price is OK, but overall I would prefer A7.3, Faital or TB, they seem adequate for the job and look much better.
Old 29th September 2017, 10:06 AM   #56
zgtc is offline zgtc
diyAudio Member

Also, I nearly forgot about the Tang Band W4-1337SDF 4" Titanium. Read good reviews as well, but how do the compare to the A7s?
Old 29th September 2017, 08:21 PM   #57
zgtc is offline zgtc
diyAudio Member

Quote:

dave
I nearly overlook this one. I was focusing on 4-6.5" drivers, but... would I get a good enough system with a 3"? Given the room size + Mod86 amp power capped at 28W. Gut feeling tells me I'd need to force the amp a bit more, but I don't know if there is any interesting 3-4" alternatives (besides those 5.2/6.2 and FF85WK) that would also allow me to make the enclosure much smaller and still get good sound.
Old 29th September 2017, 08:26 PM   #58
zgtc is offline zgtc
diyAudio Member

mmm the Alpairs 5/6 are 4Ohm, I'd stick to 8Ohm for that amp
Old 29th September 2017, 08:42 PM   #59
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
would I get a good enough system with a 3"?
You typically get less bass, a tiny bit of efficiency, but gain HF dispersion, and top, and maybe midrange quality… but there are huge variations in actual performance and in sonics amongst the large number of possible drivers.

dave

FR 4-6.5" comparison: 4FE32, Alpair-10P, SPH-60X, W4-1337SDF, FE166EnHide this!Advertise here!