Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FR 4-6.5" comparison: 4FE32, Alpair-10P, SPH-60X, W4-1337SDF, FE166En
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2017, 09:35 AM   #31
zgtc is offline zgtc
diyAudio Member

Wow thank you so much everyone for your replies. I need some time to digest all the info! I will be replying each message progressively while I advance in the process.

Thank you again
Old 15th September 2017, 04:53 PM   #32
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

hollowboy - the jewel green boxes with suprabaffles in which the 105s are pictured are not exactly a horn, but actually Woden Design | Vampyr-V
to quote from the designer (Scott Lindgren):

Forward-firing double-mouth waveguide. Unique Big Vent Mass-loaded Voigt

I couldn't help adding my own little aesthetic twist to the boxy erect design by eliminating the top and bottom void cavities and tilting back at 5dg. Not seen in this early photo was a refinement to the detail of outrigger and rear stabilizer fin / foot. These tall skinny enclosures all benefit from some method of widening the footprint to prevent toppling.

Old 15th September 2017, 05:18 PM   #33
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Thanx Chris, you beat me, althou just a variation, Scott’s BVML-V is the only speaker design i know of that hasn’t already been done by our forefathers.

And to Hollowboy’s comment about “levelling” the FF105wk, i find it to be fine in the Woden Baby Lab with no EQ. Matter of fact i find few of our boxes need BSC EQ — problematic in that it may level on axis frequency response but also causes a big bump in the LF power response.

dave
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM   #34
33Polkhigh is offline 33Polkhigh  United States
diyAudio Member

If you (OP) listen to rock, metal, or techno then check out the seas full range. It has a good xmax, can be used sealed or ported (easy box design) and will mate with a sub.

Seas Prestige FA22RCZ (H1597-08) 8" Fullrange

I would not pinch pennies either on diy. You don't have to spend a lot to get good sound but for the amount of time to build a speaker might as well get what you think is best.
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #35
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Nice unit that FA22 - but might be either over budget, or larger than the 4.5 -6" size originally specified.
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM   #36
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FA22 is nice. i’d use it (did use it) sealed. Few FR will give bass sealed. take advantage of it.

dave
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM   #37
33Polkhigh is offline 33Polkhigh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Nice unit that FA22 - but might be either over budget, or larger than the 4.5 -6" size originally specified.
I mostly listen to metal and some techno (mostly nearfield) and as much as I like the elegance of small sfrds you won't get great dynamics. compression drivers are really where its at, but they're not great nearfield. mtm's are good. A bigger full range with whizzer would be decent.
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM   #38
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Fine, but we need to avoid going too far off track, and let the OP digest the sack of oats he's been fed on this thread - remember that he'd originally posited a 7 liter-ish enclosure, and a 21sq meter space (under 230ft ^2).

I've heard numerous 4 - 5" FR driver based systems work quite satisfactorily in rooms that size, or even larger - and certainly not just a near field / desk top scenario.

FR 4-6.5" comparison: 4FE32, Alpair-10P, SPH-60X, W4-1337SDF, FE166EnHide this!Advertise here!