Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Markaudio Alpair-5 Giraffe Build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2017, 06:19 PM   #31
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

They should be volume filled with well teased poly fluff — the amount determined by listening… more density depresses the low end and reduces the ripple. There is some gain in the bottom so it does need to be damped at least somewhat. Room, room placement, listening preferences all play a roll.

dave
Old 16th September 2017, 06:23 PM   #32
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

Honestly, I've done too many builds to remember - in the case of the A5.2, I think there was a total of 5 different builds, including the Giraffes and FH lites in one week. I would have followed the notes on drawing - which I don't have at hand - probably just some 1/2" UltraTouch felt lining the walls, and some loose AcoustiStuff fibre?

Dave or Scott can confirm those details - which begs the question, was there even an official CAD , or just a gin-soaked cocktail napkin sketch. ?
Old 16th September 2017, 06:35 PM   #33
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Gir...v99-081015.pdf

Click the image to open in full size.

dave

Edit: i do see that the front view shows the “frame” for a removable back (as in the Pensils), but the side view doesn’t.
Old 16th September 2017, 07:55 PM   #34
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
A circular cross-section will have 1 strong side-to-side resonance. A square cyclinder would as well. If filled with damping should not be an issue.

dave
Perhaps, with the circular one, the majority of resonant modes will have peak amplitude at the axial centre of the tube and some damping material at that location could prove particularly effective ??
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 16th September 2017, 08:03 PM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Well yes, i’d stuff the entire cylinder. My ap is most typically midTL and i like to stuff them till aperiodic.

dave
Old 18th September 2017, 05:14 PM   #36
craigtone is offline craigtone  United States
diyAudio Member

So far I have found placement with respect to listener more important than room placement. I prefer about 6' from listening position and 6' apart with no toe-in. This seems to give the best balance with decent bass and a VERY wide (~12') soundstage.

Now that they are broken-in a bit, I popped on some Megadeth Countdown to Extinction and Rage Against the Machine Killing in the Name of yesterday at moderate volume and I was blown away! My old Alpair 12 pensils could not keep up with faster music but these little Alpair 5's have NO problem with whatever is thrown at them!

I am currently running them off my 45SET amp and find that I lost dynamics vs the Gain Clone. I am now leaning towards a Pass Amp Camp build for these which I think would be their sweet spot as they did sound phenomenal on my buddies Aleph J when we first tested them out.
Old 18th September 2017, 06:55 PM   #37
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

As sweet a piece as the ACA is, I'm thinking you'll find 10W+ to be the start of the golden zone for these little guys. IIRC, when I did my quickie listening test to the 5 or 6 designs that I blasted together for this driver last year or so, it was with my Tubelab Simple PP EL84 (15-ish WPC) . I can certainly imagine a 45or even 2A3 SET would be a bit light on grunt for these.
Old 18th September 2017, 07:03 PM   #38
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
yah, sumpin like that - scottj is currently on a campaign to rid the term FAST from our lexicon, and since I've frequently mentioned my dislike for the term, I should probably support that ?
Good show old bean

Markaudio Alpair-5 Giraffe BuildHide this!Advertise here!