Markaudio Alpair-5 Giraffe Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There almost certainly being other changes between the old 5 and this one - while one could probably compare the T/S parameters between the two and surmise which differences are strictly due to the elimination of spider and voice coil, etc., exactly how any found changes would explain difference in sonic performance is another matter.

No voice coil = no voice

246386d1319563517-sold-jtms-pictures-speakers-built-alpair5en-pipes-comp-jpg

dave

Dave, how do those units sound in (PVC?) compared to wood?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Designed as a midTL it was more limited by the old A5 i think than PVC vrs wood. The cylindrical PVC is very stiff and worked fine as far as the system goes. I may still have the pipes (depends whether they disappeared during th ebig clean-up while i wa sin the hospital), The A5s are in Alaska.

We have retrofitted boxes with a similar PVC midTL out the back. All a matter of what compromises need to be made to get the job done.

dave

Honestly, I've done too many builds to remember - in the case of the A5.2, I think there was a total of 5 different builds, including the Giraffes and FH lites in one week. I would have followed the notes on drawing - which I don't have at hand - probably just some 1/2" UltraTouch felt lining the walls, and some loose AcoustiStuff fibre?

Dave or Scott can confirm those details - which begs the question, was there even an official CAD , or just a gin-soaked cocktail napkin sketch. ?

A circular cross-section will have 1 strong side-to-side resonance. A square cyclinder would as well. If filled with damping should not be an issue.

dave

Perhaps, with the circular one, the majority of resonant modes will have peak amplitude at the axial centre of the tube and some damping material at that location could prove particularly effective :idea: ??

So far I have found placement with respect to listener more important than room placement. I prefer about 6' from listening position and 6' apart with no toe-in. This seems to give the best balance with decent bass and a VERY wide (~12') soundstage.

Now that they are broken-in a bit, I popped on some Megadeth Countdown to Extinction and Rage Against the Machine Killing in the Name of yesterday at moderate volume and I was blown away! My old Alpair 12 pensils could not keep up with faster music but these little Alpair 5's have NO problem with whatever is thrown at them!

I am currently running them off my 45SET amp and find that I lost dynamics vs the Gain Clone. I am now leaning towards a Pass Amp Camp build for these which I think would be their sweet spot as they did sound phenomenal on my buddies Aleph J when we first tested them out.

As sweet a piece as the ACA is, I'm thinking you'll find 10W+ to be the start of the golden zone for these little guys. IIRC, when I did my quickie listening test to the 5 or 6 designs that I blasted together for this driver last year or so, it was with my Tubelab Simple PP EL84 (15-ish WPC) . I can certainly imagine a 45or even 2A3 SET would be a bit light on grunt for these.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.