Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ACA Speaker short list
ACA Speaker short list
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2017, 03:45 PM   #1
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default ACA Speaker short list

My first Amp Camp amps are to be built soon and a B1 buffer has just been completed. So itís time to decide what speakers to build.

I suspect that there may never be consensus on the ideal DIY speaker to bring out the best in the ACAís, but Iím trying to draw up a short list for the speaker build. The listening area is 18 feet long x 13 feet wide. Itís just for normal home use - no parties.

So far, someone has suggested in another thread that 8Ē or 10Ē classic Audio Nirvana full range drivers would work well (no mention of the enclosure, though). I have also been eyeing single 5ĒDayton Audio PA130-8 drivers in 0.53x Karlsonators.

Iím considering the Karlsonators because it suits my budget, but I canít help but wonder if there are other suitable options.

Christo
Old 4th September 2017, 03:53 PM   #2
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

ACA Speaker short list
AN 10's / Alpha 15 here. Room's 17X26.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0007 (1).JPG (234.2 KB, 1114 views)
File Type: jpg AN10 Filter.jpg (75.9 KB, 1099 views)
Old 4th September 2017, 04:35 PM   #3
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Actually, different amps will have a very marginal effect compared to the effects different rooms have. Your amp may be nice, but there's no magic in any amp out there that will make a horrible room sound good. Not saying your room is horrible! Just making a point.

Build speakers according to the room, your music preferences, and other issues that may occur, like design matching with the decor and size restrictions... and yes, your amp.

Add room treatments as much as possible, with the same constraints as above....

AN 8" driver in a horn, or 5" karlsonators will sound totally different.

Narrow your search with a set of goals first. Then, see what designs fit your goals.
Old 4th September 2017, 06:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane77g View Post
AN 10's / Alpha 15 here. Room's 17X26.

And you're driving that with 5W/6W Amp Camp amps?
Old 4th September 2017, 06:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
... Narrow your search with a set of goals first. Then, see what designs fit your goals.

Thanks Perceval. That sounds like good advice. Although a newbie like me wouldn't know what designs to choose based on a set of goals. It's all really very new to me.
Old 4th September 2017, 07:28 PM   #6
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

ACA Speaker short list
i am currently using a set of ACA. They play at levels much higher than one would expect from their power rating.

I am currenly using them with Tysen V2 (FAST with the passive XO, FF85wKeN & a pair of Silver FluteW14) but Frugel-Horn XL (with Alpair 10p) and Frugel-Horn Lite (with Alpair 5.2) aldo worked well at diYFEST a couple weeks ago. I have happily used these with any of the speakers i have in-house (too numerous to list).

You’d likely be happy with any of the Mark Audio Alpairs (which are all good), Fostex FF105wk/165wk.

Chhose drivers & boxes (there are lots of choices of those) for your room and listening tastes.

make, what does the impedance curve of your OB look like? The ACA need to be treated like an SE tube amp — ie nice smooth impedance with no big bump caused by an XO.

A note of the ANs, i have simulated quite a few of them and it is hard to find a box for many of them. Surprisingly, hard to get bass out of a lot of them. My listening experience only extends to a few of them… some discontinued stamped basket ones which were less than satisfying, and the Cast 10” which had potential (they needed more break-in when i heard them) and we could actually build a box for them. My only caveat was that they are pricey for what you get.

dave
Old 5th September 2017, 12:07 AM   #7
2 picoDumbs is offline 2 picoDumbs  Australia
diyAudio Member

Audio nirvana in open baffle.
Old 5th September 2017, 02:11 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar88 View Post
Thanks Perceval. That sounds like good advice. Although a newbie like me wouldn't know what designs to choose based on a set of goals. It's all really very new to me.
That's why you can ask here, after you mention what are the things you are looking for, the kind of listening you expect to do, and the limitations you have to deal with.

Just asking What should I build? will get you a flurry of answers, and you still won't know what to do...
Old 5th September 2017, 07:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

What I listen to: Lounge, Blues, the occasional Jazz and mostly female vocal, although Leonard Cohen is also a favourite. Throw in some Gotan Project and Pink Floyd and I'm happy. I have discovered that it is particularly difficult to get decent bass out of Pink Floyd's Time. I always crave a little more 'roar' from the piece that starts at 0:53. Surprisingly, my 2.1 Creative desktop set seems to have that roar. Must be the subwoofer doing its bit.

Stuff like House and Dubstep (eg. Alice DeeJay) I never listen to, so I donít want or need a boom box.

It would be nice to have medium to moderate volume, but not too loud. As I've mentioned before, it's not for parties.

Open baffle is not going to be my first choice. I'm able to construct an enclosure.

Tall order? Maybe... But Iíd like to see what others suggest and then Iíll decide what to build. Price is definitely also a consideration. I canít understand why shipping is so expensive at Parts Express.
Old 5th September 2017, 08:02 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, nothing will give you bass like a real subwoofer.

But it f you want to keep it simple, with good enough bass, the karlsonators are pretty good, but if you are not looking at efficiency and as loud as a 3" driver can be, the TABAQs will dig a little lower.

A buddy here listened to my pair of TABAQs and was really surprised how much bass was coming out of them, while listening to Pink Floyd or Daft Punk.

They are small enough for your room, but put out a nice vast sound. Placing them directly on the back wall, you wouldn't need a BSC to tame the highs a bit. Otherwise, adding a BSC for them is very simple.

And if using a high efficiency driver like the 3FE22, they would be plenty loud, with your little ACA.

Plenty of other drivers to choose from in the TABAQ thread.

ACA Speaker short listHide this!Advertise here!