Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

3D printed mark audio pluvia 7 build
3D printed mark audio pluvia 7 build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2018, 07:28 PM   #11
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you considered making the 4" enclosures slightly larger and giving them a rounded edge to reduce diffraction?
Old 10th February 2018, 07:34 PM   #12
timreeves is offline timreeves  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

These are all just test boxes at the moment.

The idea is to print boxes for all and any drivers that I may want to put into a commercial design, so I can easily swap them around and see what works with what.

When the final boxes come, then I'll pay better attention to baffle shapes & sizes and what-not.

Thanks for your input though
Old 10th February 2018, 07:43 PM   #13
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Can't wait to see where this ends up. For the past few years I've been thinking about doing something similar but with a focus on absolutely reducing diffraction from the enclosure. I'm curious what nozzle size you are using, if I were to make an attempt at this I would definitely want to move to a .8mm or 1mm nozzle.

I also thought about designing a labyrinthine interior to the enclosures, as you could really build in some internal absorption and diffusion into the interior, without greatly increasing your build cost or time.

Keep up the great work
Old 10th February 2018, 07:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

thanks man, i'm on a 0.6 nozzle, 0.8 was too much work to make look nice, i'd rather it had 40% more time printing! i started on 0.4, that was an error! Get on it though, it's so much less restrictive than designing for wood.

really fancy structurally strong interior is on my to do list, designing things so they print nice without supports is a bit of a challenge though.
Old 11th February 2018, 03:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Small update

One side is all printed and sounding great, ready to be fibreglassed solid on the internals.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th February 2018, 07:16 PM   #16
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hello.

Do you think it's the rising up to the slightly hot 5-8khz region that makes you like the hybrid audio legatia L4?

Maybe this makes it better off axis, and gives more presence together with the room. There is something going on with cymbal hits, snare hits, tom's and even unfiltered kick up in this region. Also bringing out more subtle details that can often be missed. Loud horn sections can be a bit irritating though, and many studios put emphasis on voice and guitar over all else, making the recordings irritating even on speakers without a rising top end.
Old 11th February 2018, 07:33 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

It's the whole presentation of the soundstage after a bit of careful positioning that I really love about the hybrids. I'm currently using these speakers as a pair of monitors for my desk, and 30 - 40 degrees off axis pointing infront of me and I feel like I'm front row at a concert.

Usually I'm the first to bin anything that sounds a bit too harsh or coloured, and whilst these can make your eardrums tingle a little if they're pointed at you, they are on the dark side of neutral, with a lot of "air", in their current position.

Due to their finicky nature I wouldn't really recommend them for anything other than monitors, where you can keep a very constant position.
Old 11th February 2018, 07:43 PM   #18
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

Yes, that is what I meant, they interact "with" the room, in a way. Feels "live".
Same thing happening with my Fane FC152's, see that the drivers you chose have a somewhat similar frequency response. IE rising top end peaks at the 5-6-7-8khz then backing off a bit. It does not bother me like a hot region in the 700hz to 1-2-3-4khz area. Feels like detail level is enhanced or something, bringing back a little something that was lost.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 11th February 2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11th February 2018, 09:54 PM   #19
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timreeves View Post
It's the whole presentation of the soundstage after a bit of careful positioning that I really love about the hybrids. I'm currently using these speakers as a pair of monitors for my desk, and 30 - 40 degrees off axis pointing infront of me and I feel like I'm front row at a concert.

Usually I'm the first to bin anything that sounds a bit too harsh or coloured, and whilst these can make your eardrums tingle a little if they're pointed at you, they are on the dark side of neutral, with a lot of "air", in their current position.
I looked the driver up, out of interest.

That angle / those observations look just right, based on these 3rd party measurements:

Mobilesoundscience.com

- an on-axis rise and no huge peaks.
- very flat to about 9kHz when 30 degrees off axis.

IMO, this is a nice compromise, and looks to be well executed. I've tested (and enjoyed) some 4" TV and PA speakers that had similar polars.

I like that you say that is a lot of "air", when the measurements indicate there is almost no output > 10kHz at your listening angle. I see this as anecdotal evidence that the top octave is pretty unimportant, most of the time. Maybe the "air" comes from there being a little bit of >10kHz in the reflected sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timreeves View Post
Due to their finicky nature I wouldn't really recommend them for anything other than monitors, where you can keep a very constant position.
Aren't they meant for cars, where the position is very constant?

NOTE: the manufacturer specs are a little overblown - they use a sensitivity specification. The 3rd party measurement of the efficiency is 4dB lower. This puts it in the same range as the Visaton B80.

The B80 looks (just based on photos) very similar from the front - it may use some of the same parts, and it has similar polar plots.
Attached Images
File Type: png HATL4V103060Deg.png (191.4 KB, 187 views)
Old 12th February 2018, 11:55 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

And I'm done!
For the time being...

3D printed mark audio pluvia 7 buildHide this!Advertise here!