Baby Lab for the Alpair 7.3?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built the Frugal Horns for my 7.3s but was never satisfied with the result, plus I find that they don't fit into spaces very well with the long tail. On top of that, if you don't put it on a stabilizing stand they tend to tip. Don't ask how I know.

Anyway, as I write this I'm blasting my Lance speakers, a design I find to be the perfect combination of small desktop size, ease of build, and great sound for the size. So why not put the two together and build a baby lab for the A7.3 that I have. Do any of the existing plans match well enough with the 7.3 that I could just build it? I have the plans somewhere, but I think they are still on the Woden site as well. If not, are there dimensions that I should use. I don't need the drawing as I can build these in my sleep without it. This would be my 4th pair of baby labs. (I could sell a ton of these to the college kids that have asked where my kids get them.)

Zacster - if underwhelmed by the FH3, if you've not already tried them, another one you might want to try for the A7.3 would be the Pensil. As great as the Baby Labs perform - yes I've built a few of those myself - I'll take a properly engineered floorstander anytime I can.

In this case the form factor is important. I've had the FH3 for over a year now and they never make it out of the basement because I have no place to put them. Bookshelf size speakers would likely go in my kitchen, or maybe the bedroom where I don't have room for anything big. Or maybe they'd become my computer monitors as the Lance that I use now are my daughter's. My guess is the box would be twice as large as the Lance, but even that is OK compared to a floor speaker.

Hamish,et al: FWIW, Scott can correct me on this, but I think the original design brief of the "Baby-Lab" series was to deliver "optimal" bass extension of smaller "full-range" drivers by folding an MLTL type of design into as compact a desk-top/ bookshelf enclosure as practicable - keeping in mind that the Fo for the 3" or so drivers generally employed are such that the line length for targeted performance is still relatively short, and the CSA small enough that such a small form factor is feasible.

By the time you get to something like the A10s, the effective length and CSA required to not hamstring the drivers potentially excellent bass performance could make for a clunky build, and not necessarily ensure any better performance than a straight line floorstander, such as the Pensil, Brines' M10-A10, or numerous similar designs. And not to took our own horn, there's also the FHXL.

Over the past 5 years or soI've heard both the metal and paper A10s in a fair range of enclosures, and if floorspace is available, can't recommend the XL highly enough. At the other end of the range of box sizes, there are several basic BR designs published on Mark Audio site. I've built literally scores of enclosures for every model of Alpair and CH series of drivers, and can't remember if any of these were among them- if any stood out performance-wise, I probably would have (remembered)
Alpair 10 Grey | Markaudio

Of course, my opening conjecture could be out to lunch.

By the time you get to something like the A10s, the effective length and CSA required to not hamstring the drivers potentially excellent bass performance could make for a clunky build, and not necessarily ensure any better performance than a straight line floorstander, such as the Pensil, Brines' M10-A10, or numerous similar designs. And not to took our own horn, there's also the FHXL.

A solution for a problem that doesn't exist. ;)

jeff

The funny thing is my son just asked whether he could take "those speakers" in the basement for his new apartment. He didn't think he had shelf space for his Murphy Blasters and wanted floor standers. He is welcome to take them, but then decided maybe the Lance was a better option given his very limited space. After a listen though he wasn't so sure. While the Lance makes the best of the bass, the MB can go pretty low and they just can't compete. I'm going to give him my office pair, and let him try them. If he wants to keep them I'll make another pair for myself, or maybe just take the Murphy Blasters to the office.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Spent an overnight in the hospital (allegric reaction to contrast dye used in a CT-Scan). Scott and i did the origial A10.2/A7/A6 Baby Labs for commercial use is Oz (and never got paid), DIYers benifitted as the A6 one was used as the basis for the current series. I am discussing with Scott, Perhaps a Woden Planset for a small fee?

And what Chris says is probably true. And he forgot to mention the Pensil ML-TLs.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.