2"-3" fullrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys, i am looking for the finest 2"-3" driver that will play as low as 350hz and beyond 20k. looking for a beautiful midrange with great upper extension and smoothness. plays with a wide dispersion as well is a plus.

price doesn't matter, want something as neutral and natural sounding as possible.

thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FF85wKeN or Alpair 5.2eN. Matched and EnABLed versions of the Fostex FF85wk & the Mark Audio Alpair 5.2. The latter is probably smoother but the former has had more use due to being available a lot longer.

Note that i am the only one you can buy these from so i may be a bit biased, but i only sell stuff i like.

Also worth considering is the Dan Wiggins designed 3” for Audience, but those are hard to find now that they have been pulled fro8m the diy world. There is a highly reguarded Visaton (no experience — be wary, i have bought the VIFA TC9 on recomendations and found it very disappointed). The Scan Speak 10F will likely get recommended, the expensive one (8424) is really only a midrange, the cheaper one (8414) is a FR but i have no experience.

We use the FF85wKeN in the 1st Tysen V2 prototype, but also want to build a version with the Alpair to compare.

tysenV2-passive.jpg

dave

I'm sorry, but I was also twitching a bit when I saw post #8.

Dave (planet10) has been a good contributor for many years, there's no denying that.
But advertising prices and models in this section of DIYAudio is a bit much.

Planet10 has its own business forum section here ( http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planet-10-hifi/ ) where he could have pointed you to, instead of populating this DIY place with advertisement for his own products, especially being a forum moderator on top of that.

Offering opinions is all good. Post #8 was not offering an opinion... it was a sales pitch.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A lifeless driver. Not able to reproduce the small details that make a hifi sound lifelike (ie poor DDR). A driver designed to hide the ugly bits often present in TV programming, damn good at that. Will reproduce down (as in dB down from the loud stuff and below that mushes everything into an undistinguiable mess.

dave

FWIW, it could be noted that many of the big fans of the TC9 are using them in multiples - even as many as 25 in line array. Indeed, wesayso has given his very detailed explanation for its lack of what some of us might call "personality" being exactly what he's looking for in such an application.

Also, while the SB is considerably more costly, at a whopping $28.25 US, ;) the square frame looks to make line array aesthetics easier - for those so inclined

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.